Default Fem-Dophilus instead of Metronidazole?

I've had a heck of a time down under since giving birth! I labored at home for days (fully dilated for a full day) before going into the hospital and ultimately having a c-section. They found an infection in my placenta and said my uterus was very thin from having labored so long, and they had a hard time stitching me up. It's three months later, and I'm still bleeding. I keep going back to the gynecologist who did my surgery, and she seems really unconcerned. She did an ultrasound which showed nothing amiss. She's now prescribed Metronidazole twice for a bacterial vaginosis I'm not really sure I have since I have no symptoms and she didn't do a swab. The first prescription was oral, and I wouldn't take it for a long time because it said it was contraindicated for breast feeding. My lactation consultant and that lab at Texas Tech finally convinced me it was safe, and I took it. Not two days after I finished that course, the dr. prescribed a cream. This time I'm just unwilling to use it. The cream is supposed to be even worse for breast feeding, and my poor DD has been subjected to so many medications in utero and out through BM that I just don't want to take anything risky. A friend suggested I take Fem-Dophilus. She said it will cure a bacterial vaginosis if I have one and do no harm if I don't. She also said it was totally safe for breastfeeding. Does anyone have any experience with this? What would you do?

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Fem-dophilous is a probiotic. It would be great for you to take but I don't think it will "cure" a bacterial infection if that is in fact what you have. But taking it will help keep the balance of good bacteria high while on the abx for sure. You might want to get a 2nd opinion if your obgyn practice has more than one dr. as well.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

My midwife suggested a specific probiotic that is supposed to be helpful in restoring good vaginal flora when she thought I was headed towards vaginosis. Like you said, it can't hurt.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11