Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I need some help here, ladies. (CD's)

Please help guide me in the right direction. I am needing start cloth diapering my 8 month old. He is tiny, probably 12 pounds and in the 20th percentile for height. Skinny little legs and body. He's not a huge pee-er, (is that even a word? ), but it seems like whenever he poops we end up with huge blow-outs. I have switched from Huggies to Pampers and back again, and have tried several sizes in each. No luck. So tired of having to strip and try to wipe down all these explosions while we are on the go.

I did CD my oldest for quite a while, so I'm not a CD newbie... however my oldest is 9, so things have changed a ton. I don't want to go cheap, but I don't want to spend $$$ on tons of fun diapers either. Somewhere in the middle.

I think I am most interested in either AIO's or AI2's. I have been the pocket route and done wool/other covers with fitted's, and I don't have much interest in going there again. I want something EASY. I was really considering the Flip's, but was concerned with the single gusset around the legs, especially with my little guy's pooping skills. Which brands should I look at? Which websites do you guys usually order from?

Thank you ladies!
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I prefer fitteds with wool so I don't know much about AIOs, but a lot of people love Bum Genius.

I see a lot of talk about Sunbaby and Alva, which are both super cheap, but I think they come from China. ETA: these might be pockets rather than AIOs, not sure!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I love gro-via. The only complaint I usually hear is that big kids can grow out of them too quick. Was never a problem for us or my average sized kids. I used the AI2 back when they were called gro-baby and like them but I also have quite a stash of AIO (I too have gotten lazy with the diaper prep). I recommend both but the AIO will be easier.

My favorites are actually called dream-eze but they have been discontinued and would probably be harder to find. I also had some bottombumpers and those were nice too. Can you tell I like the side snap?

Oh. For skinny legs you might want to check out softbums. The elastic in the leg is actually fully adjustable. Its a pretty cool concept and the diaper is quality from top to bottom. I moved away from aplix/velcro but Softbums has some pretty strong velcro that has yet to wear down on me.

diaperpin is a great place to get reviews.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You might want to check out diaperswappers FSOT section and find a few gently used styles to try out and see what works for you. I've had good luck doing that.

I love Flips, and use flip inserts, prefolds, and flats pad folded in them, but my DD2 doesn't have crazy blowouts and has more average-thick legs, so it's hard to guess how they'd work for you...

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We love dream-eze as well, however, they are one of the bulkiest diapers we own, but I've never had a leak in one! They're anAwesome diaper if you can get your hands on some!!!! I personally hated the gro-via diaper, but some people love them I'm also a goodmama fan, the million snaps have never bothered me. We also have use g diapers with a cloth insert and have had great luck with them as well.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't used AI2's since those weren't around when I CD'd DS, but I always liked Bumgenius AIO's and pockets. We never had leaks or blowouts, but DS did have chubby thighs.

We also used gDiapers with both the flushable insert and with prefolds. But I liked the BG fit better.

You could use a trial program, like the one from Jillian's Drawers, to try several brands before committing to one brand. I know other stores do it, and let you "customize" the selection a but more, there's a list of trial programs on diaperswappers.com
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions so far! I am going to be looking into each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post

You could use a trial program, like the one from Jillian's Drawers, to try several brands before committing to one brand. I know other stores do it, and let you "customize" the selection a but more, there's a list of trial programs on diaperswappers.com
    This is such a great idea! I know I had heard the trial programs mentioned before, but I had honestly forgotten about them. I am going to try one out next month. I love the idea of being able to test them out before committing to buy a bunch. Once I decide on a dipe brand and style, I really want to just stick with one kind, so this will be a huge help.

Has diaperswappers.com improved in years past? I remember that website being a bit "buggy" in years past.

ETA: I have been snooping around DS.com, and I can't seem to find a list of the trial programs. Can anyone link me? Thanks!
    Last edited by kep; 06-25-2012 at 01:03 AM.
    Kelli

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    ETA: I have been snooping around DS.com, and I can't seem to find a list of the trial programs. Can anyone link me? Thanks!
    Is this it? http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=886295

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    Perfect! Thank you!! I must be bad at searching.
    Kelli

Kelli - I started CDing DS2 about 2 months ago and we have a mix of a bunch of stuff .

I started with Flips stuffed with prefolds and the Flip Stay Dry Inserts and these both work REALLY well for us. I haven't had a single leak with a Flip during the day. We don't have an issue with poop explosions, though, so YMMV. When DS was just EBF poop almost always got on the cover. Now that he is eating solids that doesn't happen anymore.

I also have about 10 BG Freetime AIOs and I really like them a lot. Super easy to put on and very absorbent. I like the stay dry inners, but they are microfiber underneath and some people avoid MF because it can get stinky. I haven't had this problem yet at all.

I got some Sunbaby and Alva Baby pockets through a co-op for less than $5 a diaper and they also work really well for us. I stuff with prefolds but I have some bamboo/mf blend inserts on order too. Alva makes a pocket diaper with double gussets that people rave about and I have some of those coming from a coop. They only have 7 colors on their website, but they are cheap! You can also find them on ebay.

Another inexpensive pocket option is Coolababy. I don't have any of them, but they get good reviews and they also have double gussets. You can find them new on ebay as well.

If cost wasn't a huge factor I'd have a whole stash of the new Tots Bots Easy Fit AIOs.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast