Default Best carrier for nursing?

With DS I had the Ergo and loved it when he was an older baby but not the infant stage. I used the ring sling a lot when he was little but was never very comfortable with it and didn't feel very hands free. I never felt comfortable nursing in either of them and DS never agreed to it either. I'm terrified of nursing an infant while keeping up with my toddler so I know I need a great carrier. Is the Moby the way to go or is there something better? Any tips on nursing while wearing?

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i nursed DD all the time in my SleepyWrap (very similar to MobyWrap). i wore it around the house so i could feed my 15mo meals while DD nursed/slept. tyhat was also the only way i could go grocery shopping (i would wear dd in the wrap while ds sat in the shopping cart seat..he was too young to walk and follow me on his own)>;

i didn't feel comfortable wearing DS really, much less nursing him in a carrier but i did it a couple times (i remember i nursed him in a Pikkolo once at a restaurant when he was 6mo). when it comes down to it, you just do what you gotta do. once i had my 2nd, and DD was a fussy baby that wanted to be held and/or nurse all.the.time, i figured the wrap was the only way to sooth her.

I nurse pretty easily in my Beco Butterfly II.
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've nursed in the Moby when DD was very little, but haven't been able to figure it out now that she's bigger (4 months). There's some really good youtube videos showing how people use the Moby to nurse, though. I just got the Pikkolo and just tried nursing in that...it was manageable (much easier than the Moby at this point, which is still my overall preferred carrier for now), though I couldn't do it hands free -- one hand free, but I found I needed a stabilizer hand. Also, regardless of the fact it says it works for 8 lbs and up, I couldn't imagine using the Pikkolo on a very little baby, to nurse or just to carry.
    Lizi

I think a lot of it depends on you and your baby. I'm short, with a short torso, and DS has always been tall. We tried nursing in various carriers, and we sort of managed it once in the Ergo when he was 10 months old. But, for me, it was always easier just to pop him out of the carrier to nurse and then to slide him back in.

I've nursed in a few carriers. If your baby is OK with nursing upright but hard to get to the right height in an Ergo, a mei tai might work better--they have no hip pad so they're easier to shift up and down. I had a Pikkolo, but I actually find a mei-tai without buckles easier. If it's hourglass-shaped, as opposed to a straight-sided body, you'll get more coverage of your torso, which is more private. I've had lots of people totally unaware that I was nursing him in it!

If you've got enough patience to learn them, I also love woven wraps for nursing because they offer great comfort and support for long carries and a lot of coverage. I found stretchy wraps too uncomfortable by the time DS was 6 mos (he was a spring baby, so when I dug it out in fall I had to give it up! LOL) so if you'd rather have something you know will last longer, a woven might be a better bet.