Default Help! 8 month old won't drink milk anymore!

Need help or suggestions! My son just turned 8 months and for the past 4 weeks or so, he is refusing to drink his bottles (or breastfeed for that matter). He used to drink 7-8 oz. at a time, but now he may only drink an ounce and then stop and push the bottle away and get upset if I try to give him more. He will usually gobble up his solids just fine, but I know that he is still supposed to be getting ~24 oz. of breastmilk a day and it is such a struggle - I feel like I am trying to get him to take just a few sips here and there all day long! I've tried everything from giving him sippy cup instead to putting some in his food to offering it cold instead if his mouth was bothering him - but it is just an all day thing!!

I don't know if it has to do with the fact that he just decided he doesn't like milk anymore and wants real food, or if it could do with teething? He doesn't have any teeth yet, but I think they are just about to pop through. If it were to do with teething, could it really be lasting the last 4 weeks that he would be acting like this? And if so, did it get better for people? He is already very skinny and I just get worried that he isn't getting the fluids and nutrients he still needs from breastmilk. I would give anything for him to go back to just at least drinking 4-5 ounces at a time! Please let me know if anyone had any experience with this and if their babies eventually snapped out of it!!

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Is he getting any other fluids? If so, my first thought would be to cut out any other fluids, so that the milk/formula is his only option.

No I specifically am not offering him anything else so that he doesn't fill up on water/juice etc. It is so strange - I can't tell if it is teething or he just doesn't like it anymore. And I always feed him his bottle before I give him solids so he isn't full from that, but I am just trying to aim for 4 bottles of 6oz each a day - he used to take 5 bottles of 7-8 oz a day before he started solids at 6 months.