Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gift ideas for a friend who saved DH's life?

Long story short, DH has been having severe back pain for the past 10 months (regularly a 9-10 on a 10 pt scale; think intense labor pain level). He had an MRI in January that was declared negative by a radiologist, was seen by a spine surgeon and a pain management dr, all of which noted a slight disc problem. He had numerous injections and almost had a vertebral fusion. With symptoms getting worse and involving problems urinating and producing a BM, a friend who is an interventional radiologist offered to look at the MRIs and CTs because he felt they were missing something. It turns out that they missed a spinal tumor that was plainly visible on the first MRI from January, and all of the DRs missed it. DH was in surgery within a week of finding out about the tumor, as it was suddenly deemed an emergency after being blown off for 9 months. (we went to a new Dr, BTW)

DH was in bad shape, and our friend offering to read the images and finding the tumor saved his life, as well as preventing the tumor from doing any further damage to the spinal nerves. Besides our first born child, what would be an appropriate gift? We are in TX and they just moved to Boston a few days after this incredible act of kindness. They are in their early 30s with a 4 month old baby.

Thanks!!!!!

Wow! I am so happy for you and your family that your wonderful friend was there to help! What an amazing story! But I am so sorry that your family has had to endure all of this. I agree no gift would ever show how grateful you are but maybe something from Red Envelope that you could inscribe and include a heartfelt message and card?

Best wishes on a speedy recovery for your DH!!

I don't have any ideas for a gift, but WOW! So glad that your DH is OK!
    An AF wife to DH and
    mom to Will 09/08 & Andy 09/10

Wow! What a story...and so relieved for your family! How about something from Edible Arrangements and a nice note?
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A letter to the editor of his local newspaper.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

wow! I am sure a note with your hearfelt thanks would be appreciated. Does your friend have any special interests - sports, hobbies, music etc?
    Honestly, I am sure anything would be appreciated.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I think a sincere, heartfelt card will have the biggest impact. However, it would be nice to send along a thoughtful gift as well. Has there been any hobbies he and DH have done together? Does he have a favorite sports team? Is he a golfer?

Maybe a gift card to an upscale restaurant?

I like the idea of contacting the local newspaper editor. However, if he just relocated to Boston and trying to establish his practice, that might not be a good idea.

What an amazing story! I agree with the heartfelt card. Nothing really seems enough. Maybe a donation to his alma mater? Or a bench/plaque/tile at a public place (some places sell them for a donation). I'm really grasping. I'm so happy for you and your DH.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I like the letter to the editor in his local town plus copies of reviews you put on dr review websites, all in a heartfelt, handwritten card, and a gift cert for something special that he would really appreciate - ie great high end restaurant if he's a foodie, or tickets to a professional sporting event if he's into that...

What a kind, generous man. Thank goodness for good people.
    Alaina
    DS1 12 , DS2 7.5 and DS3 5

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Your first born may be seen as more of a chore than a gift, i think this one may require you to sleep with him as way of saying thanks

But seriously, while not saving a life, i have helped many friends out with financial issues and always appreciated some sort of a token gift. After dd was born, i would tell people that, if they wanted to do something, a gift for dd would be appreciated. Anything more or substantial would make me feel awkward. I would get something for their child and a nice heartfelt card to accompany
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast