Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If they are new to Boston, what about some sort of family membership to a zoo or children's museum? While that kind of gift has nothing to do with saving your DH (Wow!! Amazing story!!), I imagine it would be appreciated by a family with a new baby. Children's museum might have to wait a few months, depending on what they have for infants, of course.

Thanks for the ideas! I really have no idea about hobbies. My friend is the wife who just graduated from medical school the day they received the MRIs from us in the mail, and her husband has been in a residency the past 5 years. I think their hobbies are probably non existent, especially with the new baby

I know they live in a condo. I wonder how edible arrangements would be delivered if they weren't home during he day. That was one of my first thoughts, along with maybe a wine of the month club subscription.

I really like the museum idea. Does anyone have any boston based suggestions? I've never been there.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Their lives sound very, very busy. Maybe a Visa or American Express gift card that can be used anywhere, print up a bunch of Yelp reviews of local restaurants, and include a note that you wish you were there to take them out for a celebratory dinner, but since you are not, "take out is on us tonight!"

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow! Amazing. I agree w/ something heartfelt, like a letter/card. I'm sure he would cherish it. I also like the idea of a letter to the editor. For baby gifts, I found the simple can have the most impact. I love the maple baby block from Craft-e-family. Have gotten raves from everyone I have given it to (got the rec here).

http://www.craftefamily.com/baby_gif...rsonalized.asp
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been there, with my DH even.

The man who saved his life is a colleague and good friend of his.

In my experience, a heartfelt letter and an appropriate donations (in our case, to an educational fund since they're both teachers) was best. Anything else shook up the friend dynamic too much.

Every time I mention that he saved DH's live he gets very uncomfortable - so I don't anymore. Took a while though, because I was very grateful!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think a heartfelt card and something really special for his DD - maybe a college fund contribution? - would be the best thing. You don't want to make him feel awkward (and I think the LTE would be awkward). Amazing story!

for Sandy Hook

[QUOTE=ahisma;3538769]In my experience, a heartfelt letter and an appropriate donations (in our case, to an educational fund since they're both teachers) was best. Anything else shook up the friend dynamic too much.[QUOTE]

I love the idea of a donation in his honor! Maybe towards tumor research or to the hospital that he works at.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

What an amazing (and scary) story.
    Ideas:
    Expensive/hard sought after sports tickets to a loved team?
    A large donation to something he really supports, or even to the hospital where he works, if it has a program where you can give money thanking a doctor whom you love (they have this at Cornell in NY and I get letters a lot asking if I want to donate money on behalf of my RE).

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So glad your DH is doing better. I second (third?) the idea that a letter to your friend, AND to the local paper AND to his hospital is great. Speaking as a physician, those letters are like gold. He's a radiologist, so he's doing well, he doesn't need material things. The letter is valuable and irreplaceable. I know he moved since then but it doesn't matter, send it to his current place of work. Every doctor I know would like to get that above anything else. (Home grown produce and eggs are second.)
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh wow, that is a tall order! You must be extremely thankful to him.

I would Make a donation in his name to a cause that is dear to him and write a heartfelt thank you note.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast