Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trade-off between comfort and ease of use? (Wrap vs. Ring sling)

Our "surprise" 3rd child is due in September. I used ring slings extensively with my first two children (now ages 9 and 11). Started off with an Over-the-Shoulder Baby Holder (which was a good first sling to learn with), then moved on to a lighter, unpadded sling and a mesh water sling.

I was all set to purchase a new RS (looking at either a Maya Wrap or a Sakura Bloom) until I started doing some research and discovered all of the new options that have surfaced in the last decade since I've used them. I am now very interested in the woven wraps (specifically the Wrapsody Breeze) as well because they are worn on two shoulders.

Can someone who has used both a wrap and a ring sling comment on the comfort vs. convenience of each compared to the other? I think a wrap may provide more comfort for me because of more even weight distribution, but I'm not sure if I would use it as much as a RS because of the time-consuming wrap job required. I used to love the portability and ease of using my RS at home and while running quick errands. I think a RS is a great carrier for those days when you are in and out of the car and need to get the baby in and out quickly. But would a wrap be more practical for running longer errands and attending my older kids' activities? Are wraps that much more comfortable on the back and shoulders than a sling? I do not have back problems, but I AM 10 years olders than the last time I had a baby, so I want the most comfortable yet practical option for me.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I only used a sling with DS, so this will be my first time using a wrap. I was about to get a Moby, although the ladies at thebabywearer.com recommended a woven wrap so I was on the fence. In the end I went for the Baby K'tan because it offers the versatility of a wrap, without all the wrapping. I haven't used it since DD ins't here yet. http://www.babyktan.com/whatisktan.html you can watch a video on the website.

You could also try to locate a babywearing group or class in your area where you can try them several kinds out before making a decision.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 07-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have used both, but at different times and ages with my kids.

The moby is an excellent option for a newborn and younger baby. The amount of support it provides is amazing! I've often joked I could get out a run with the baby attached to me because it feels that secure. It was a life saver chasing after my DS1 (2yrs at the time) because it literally is a completely hands free carrier. I used it often when doing errands and such as well. I'd wrap it to me prior to leaving the house, drive with it on and then pop the baby in when we got to our destination. A moby is one of my top must haves for the younger baby phase! The moby is made of a stretchier material, and therefore is much more forgiving putting the baby on, but because of that stretchiness it's not as good of an option as baby gains weight. I've never had or worn a woven wrap, but I hear they're great and last longer because they provide more support of a heavier child (but again, I hear the learning curve is a bit steeper on them)

I absolutely love my ring sling as well! I think that the ring sling is my most used carrier just because the length of time that I'm able to use it. My 15mo old still goes in it for every grocery trip!

Congrats on your sweet surprise!

I did try a Moby Wrap in person at a local store and found the huge amount of fabric intimidating. But I suppose I would get used to it with practice. If I do go with a wrap-style carrier, I am leaning more toward a woven wrap than stretchy wrap like a Moby because of our hot climate. I have also heard that you can get a more secure fit with a woven wrap as the baby gets heavier.

Okinawama...since you have used both, do you find the wrap more comfortable than the sling since it's worn over two shoulders? Is it a much more secure hold than the sling?

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've used both and definitely prefer the wrap for the two-shoulder support! Wraps also have a lot of flexibility for how your wear your baby, which I'm sure you've discovered in your research!

I think you should take the plunge. That wrap, in particular, will be perfect this time of year, whereas a Moby would have you sweating buckets!

ETA: learning to wrap is a challenge, but there are loads of YouTube videos to help you! I couldnt have done without!

BTW, our baby was a HUGE surprise, too! Our kids are almost 12yrs apart, which is crazy but fun! Congrats to the 4 of you on your new addition!

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by queenmama; 07-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been using a combo of things - the moby gets very warm and is a pain to get on and off but is very supportive for a newborn. However, I've had as much luck with a stretchy one-shoulder pouch like the KKAFP (can find them used.) we use this as our go-to carrier. I also use a linen Sakura which is supportive but seems to be less comfy for dS.

One other caveat with wraps is you can't lift both arms instead of just one arm. I stopped using the moby at home when I realized I couldn't get into my upper cabinets with it.

If you want a two shoulder option that is more poppable, beco Gemini might be an option.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by opus_00 View Post
    Okinawama...since you have used both, do you find the wrap more comfortable than the sling since it's worn over two shoulders? Is it a much more secure hold than the sling?
    For me personally, I do find the moby significantly more comfortable and incrdibly secure! I liked the ring sling a lot, but I absolutely loved that the moby had the baby's weight distibuted over both shoulders, across my back and along my waist.

I've used both, and love love love woven wraps. I have shoulder issues and find them much comfier than anything I've tried, and far more versatile. I still use mine regularly with my DS (over 2, nearly 30 lbs, and I'm 7 mos pregnant!) It can take a while to get the hang of tying it, but some of the longer-wrap carries are "poppable", or you can tie them halfway, pop in baby, and finish tying.

Some thoughts on your choices: unless you live in a very hot/humid place, I would avoid the Gypsymama. I learned on one, and it's probably the hardest wrap out there to tie--it's so thin that it leads to more pressure points if tied sloppily. Of course, if you do persevere and learn on one, you'll be a better wrapper. Also, it won't be as comfortable for a heavier baby as a sturdier wrap, so you'd retire it sooner if you would only get one wrap--I'd say it's comfy about as long as a stretchy wrap is comfy. If you really think you'll need the light weight by next summer, you'd be better to learn on a heavier wrap and get a gypsymama later.

Something to consider: if you get a shorter wrap (which is great once baby is a bit older), you can use it with a set of sling rings. You would just attach the rings to the wrap the same way the RS tail goes through the rings on a regular RS, and then you've got a RS or a wrap, whichever you're in the mood for. As I'm in the process of de-ringing an extra-long RS, I wish I'd done it from the outset! If all else fails, you can have your wrap converted to a RS, or do it yourself if you have the time/inclination.

The only disadvantage to wraps is that to tie all the carries easily, you'd need at least two wraps--a long one and a shorter one. Tying the short-wrap carries with a long wrap is possible, but really annoying esp with a wriggly child on your back!

If you do decide to come over to the dark side and try a wrap , there's a wealth of info at thebabywearer.com forums.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Anne-girl...yes, we do live in a very hot and humid climate, so the Moby Wrap is out of the question for me. Definitely need something lighter and more breathable. We will still be having triple-digit weather when the baby arrives in Sept., and still a good bit of hot weather after that. We've even been known to need the air conditioning around Christmas time!

I am starting to lean toward a wrap for the hands-free security and even weight distribution (if I can get the hang of tying it correctly), but I'm still a bit concerned that it will end up not getting a lot of use because of how time-consuming it is to put on.

I think I need to look up some of those Youtube videos to get a better idea of how labor-intensive a wrap is going to be for me.

If you want the weight distributed on two shoulders, but don't want to deal with all that fabric (I couldn't deal with wraps myself), I highly recommend a mei tai (I had a freehand) or a buckle carrier like a pikkolo. Super easy to use and very comfortable for me, even with my bad neck.

Catherine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast