Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Another update 7/19 UPDATE Do you think a Dr. can tell how big your baby is

7/19. Today I had an appt with my midwife. She got word from the OB's that they do not think i'm a good VBAC candidate and want to take the baby at 39 weeks unless I go into labor first, they will not induce. If I'm he'll bent on having a VBAC then I need to meet with one of the OB's so they can tell me the risks. If they still won't go for it then I have to switch practices but at this point idk where to go. The only pros I see to this is I can have my tubes tied and I won't have to go through labor and then have a section anyway if it doesn't work out. The cons are c-sections suck, recovery sucks, it's not the best for the baby and not the best for me. Idk what to do at this point.

I had an ultrasound today at the perinatologists office. He's estimating the baby to be 5lbs already which apparently is supposed to be big for being 33 weeks pg. He recommends another U/S at 37 weeks to estimate size. He said he's not sure if I'll be able to do it naturally. Whatever, I'm still not 100% convinced he's right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just by looking at your stomach?

To make a long story short I have GD. I was taking the class about diet at my perinatologists office and the dietician told him my fasting numbers were high. He flippedout, put me on meds and told me my baby is already huge. I said I was bigger with my DD (no GD) and she was under 7 lbs. Plus I only gained 9 lbs and I'm 31 weeks how big could he be? So he wants me to go for an U/S.

I told one of the midwives today what he said and she measured me and I was measuring a month ahead. She said she thinks he's looking at me 'with trained eyes" and I shouldn't discount what he said.

For the record he's a really good Dr. that takes GD very seriously but I think this was a little much. Thoughts?
    Last edited by KLD313; 07-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My doctor told me DS1 would be 7 pounds based on my belly measurements and he was 6lbs 14 1/2oz. I do think an experienced doc can probably give a pretty good guess, are they always right? No probably not.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My midwives were pretty good but I think it is an art that many Drs don't necessarily have. I never get the size stress...I feel like some care providers plant the seed so they can make an easy sell for induction or csection as the EDD gets closer.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My midwives were pretty good but I think it is an art that many Drs don't necessarily have. I never get the size stress...I feel like some care providers plant the seed so they can make an easy sell for induction or csection as the EDD gets closer.
    The thing that gets me is he didn't even put his hands on me. He just said stand up, looked at me and said that's a huge baby. His partner guessed my DD's weight from an U/S and was off by an ounce but this was like he had x-ray vision. Then he said I know you want a VBAC so that's why I'm telling you to be extra careful.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No way. I don't even think they can tell by measuring. Two days before Henry was born I was told he'd be 7.5lbs and he was 9lbs, 4oz. I didn't even ask with Agnes, but when I was in labor the nurse guessed 8.5 and she was 9, so she was closer.

Sent from the HTC Vivid 4G LTE via Tapatalk 2
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

No, I don't. Every woman carries differently.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No.

With DS2 my OB was certain he was a 10 lb baby because DS1 was 8lbs 6oz and I was measuring big. He was 7lbs 12oz.

With DS3, while I was in labor the hospital OB came in before my OB got there. She asked me about my other boys' sizes and then felt my belly. She looked at me and said, "You've got another big one in there". Yeah, he was 6lbs 8oz. Ha. My belly was enormous though.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've heard it both ways. If you're carrying a lot of fluid or too little (which an ultrasound will tell you), then the size of your belly is dispropotionate to the size of the baby. My SIL was told the day before DN was born that there was no way her baby was over 6 lbs. DN was almost 9. With that said, when I went in for one of my last appointments with DD, the doctor asked how much DS weighed. I told her (6 lbs 11 oz) & she said, this one is much bigger. DD was born at 8lbs 4oz.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Um, I'm pretty doubtful of their ability to tell how big a baby is, even with an ultrasound. At my 38 week appointment at the high risk clinic (I also had GD and was going weekly at that point for ultrasounds), I was told that DS2 was 7lbs 3 oz. When he was born on his due date, he was only 5lbs 11 oz!

My fasting numbers were also high and I was put on glyburide. There is nothing you can do to control the fasting numbers. It's totally not your fault. I was able to control my sugars for all my other testing times, and with the glyburide, I kept them in check all the time, and look how tiny DS2 ended up! My midwife was amazed and didn't understand how I could have had such a small, full term baby considering my GD.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine was spot on with mine. But I don't think they are always right, even with an U/S.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast