Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post

My fasting numbers were also high and I was put on glyburide. There is nothing you can do to control the fasting numbers. It's totally not your fault. I was able to control my sugars for all my other testing times, and with the glyburide, I kept them in check all the time, and look how tiny DS2 ended up! My midwife was amazed and didn't understand how I could have had such a small, full term baby considering my GD.
    The fasting numbers are so stressful! I was put on glyburide and it got them down to 91 for the most part. I sent him my sugars yesterday and I thought for sure he was going to up my dose because they weren't under 90 but he just said everything looked good. That medicine scares me because my endocrinologist told me it wasn't FDA approved for use in pregnancy and she would use insulin. I trust them both but I don't want to inject myself so I'll stick with this.

I don't think every doctor is right. But my first OB felt my stomach the day before I was induced, and she called "8 and a half pounds." He was born two days later at 8 lbs, 13 oz. My third baby had an ultrasound two days before he was born and they called 9 lbs, 2 oz. He was born 9 lbs, 6 oz. And this baby was measured to be about 8 pounds the day I was induced (due to Fifth disease complications) and she was born the next day 7 lbs, 15 oz.
    Allison
    DS 06/02
    DS 03/04
    DS 08/07
    DD 04/12

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Absolutely not! Are you a member of your local ICAN group? I'd be curious what they have to say about that doctor. "Your baby is going to be huge!" is one of those bait and switch tactics that some doctors use to avoid VBACs.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    The fasting numbers are so stressful! I was put on glyburide and it got them down to 91 for the most part. I sent him my sugars yesterday and I thought for sure he was going to up my dose because they weren't under 90 but he just said everything looked good. That medicine scares me because my endocrinologist told me it wasn't FDA approved for use in pregnancy and she would use insulin. I trust them both but I don't want to inject myself so I'll stick with this.
    I was on glyburide for fasting numbers as well, it was fine, although I ended up waking up a couple times hypoglycemic towards the end and had to go back off of it the last couple of weeks. I also found that my fasting numbers were extremely dependent on how long I fasted. The longer over 8 hours I waited to test my blood sugar, the worse my numbers were. (My numbers for meals were always fine, great even.) I did my own research on glyburide before taking it and was comfortable that there weren't really any risks other than hypoglycemia. (My high risk doctor/MFM was happy with numbers under 95, my OB preferred them under 90.)

DS was 7.4 lbs at 36 weeks, (the ultrasound estimates were pretty close) but his blood sugar and everything was normal, and even at a year he is in the 95%ile for height and around 70%ile for weight, so I don't think his big size had much to do with GD.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post

My midwife-- who I really really trust-- was the one who prescribed the glyburide. I felt pretty comfortable taking it. Obviously, would have rather not taken anything, but my fasting numbers were high no matter what I did without it.

I've heard there is a disagreement within the diabetic community as to whether your fasting numbers should be below 90 or below 95, so maybe that's why your doctor is happy with them where they are.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post

I've heard there is a disagreement within the diabetic community as to whether your fasting numbers should be below 90 or below 95, so maybe that's why your doctor is happy with them where they are.
    The diabetes educator I saw does this program through the March of Dimes. She said the soon there is going to be a a big conference where they standardize the numbers for GD since they're is no standardization right now. She said they're going to make fasting under 90, 140 one hr after a meal and 120 two hours after a meal. I'm just glad he didn't up my dose.

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    Absolutely not! Are you a member of your local ICAN group? I'd be curious what they have to say about that doctor. "Your baby is going to be huge!" is one of those bait and switch tactics that some doctors use to avoid VBACs.
    Honestly, I think he was saying this to me because I want a VBAC. I was seeing a different midwife and then decided to change he was the one helping me to find a pro-VBAC provider and assured me that the hospital was pro-VBAC. Otherwise, I agree. I think it's crazy that he thinks he can tell just by looking. U/S is Wed so we'll see what he says then but I still don't 100 percent trust that even though they guessed right with my first baby.

Nope. I don't think they are very reliable when using an ultrasound either.
    D, married to B, momma to DD1 (7/08) and DD2 (8/10)

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not in the way you described. I think a very experienced OB or midwife may be able to get some sense via palpation, but not by eyeballing you and not with ultrasound. The reasons have already been well stated by PP. I agree with JT's mom that your provider may been trying to plant a seed to make you doubt VBAC as a viable choice.
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Even if the baby is "huge", don't let that scare you. We've had a ton of "big" VBAC babies in my ICAN group. We've seen some of our members who were with providers who pulled this get bullied into inductions, which failed, then ended up with sections b/c of that. I just would hate to see you not get the birth you want for unnecessary reasons. Any time I hear VBAC, my protective nature jumps out.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast