Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    Even if the baby is "huge", don't let that scare you. We've had a ton of "big" VBAC babies in my ICAN group. We've seen some of our members who were with providers who pulled this get bullied into inductions, which failed, then ended up with sections b/c of that. I just would hate to see you not get the birth you want for unnecessary reasons. Any time I hear VBAC, my protective nature jumps out.
    I appreciate your perspective. I am fighting an induction if it comes to that. I had pitocin last time, after my water broke and I'm certain that's what led to my c-section. I'm not a fan of inductions at all, it was a horrible experience.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

With DD1 my dr. estimated at 37 weeks 2 days that if she made it to 40 weeks she would be about 7/1/2 to 8lbs., he checked via u/s then. She was born at 37 w 6 d and was 6lbs. 6 oz. . I didn't ask with DD2, but I think that was because I didn't have as many u/s (just 2, one at 11 weeks for nuchal fold, and the one at 20 weeks). I could tell DD2 was smaller just by feeling in my belly. I was however surprised that she was only 6lbs. 3oz. and she was born at 38 w 6 d; so she stayed in a week longer than DD1.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I honestly think they're priming you for a section. They did it to me with DS. They did an ultrasound and tried to claim he was 14 lbs. I agreed to the section. (It's a long and bitter story.). He was 8lbs 9oz. My DD who went to 42 weeks with a planned home birth was 9lbs exactly.

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Apparently, there is a study about that. Doctors and ultrasounds were worst, midwives next and moms most accurate.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Jenn850 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I was at a teaching hospital where dd was born when they took some interns around and were showing them how to approximate weight. I don't remember what they thought dd was, but I asked the instuctor how accurate he generally was plus or minus... He just looked at me dumbfounded. He had never checked after baby was born to see if he was right, just did the procedure. I thought that was funny, but not if you were using that info to dissuade a vbac.

>> I asked the instuctor how accurate he generally was plus or minus... He just looked at me dumbfounded. He had never checked after baby was born to see if he was right, just did the procedure.

This irritates me. Why on earth wouldn't practitioners spend a little time finding out the birth weight to objectively gauge the accuracy of the providers/technician/equipment? Make a note of the estimate in the medical file, then ask for the birth weight at mom's 6 week checkup. Do that for every patient for a while, and you'll get a sense of your accuracy. Then maybe spot check yourself every so often, or when you get a new machine or new technician. I went to a high risk practice just for my ultrasounds, and they sent a short follow-up survey to moms after your due date. It was mostly about birth defects, as I recall, but may have asked about birth weight. So it is doable.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My OB nailed my last 2 perfect. Nathan he said he was guessing at least 9 but probably more like 9& 1/2 < he was 9lb8oz> 1 week before Jack was born I had an u/s and she told me 9.lb 11oz. 7days later he was born at 10lb 1oz Yes some can get very close but some are idiots.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Bumping for update.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    I had an ultrasound today at the perinatologists office. He's estimating the baby to be 5lbs already which apparently is supposed to be big for being 33 weeks pg. He recommends another U/S at 37 weeks to estimate size. He said he's not sure if I'll be able to do it naturally. Whatever, I'm still not 100% convinced he's right.
    Don't let him get in your head so much. Ask him instead what baby's position is as, imo, it is a far more important gauge. They so frequently ignore position and get all set on weight. Weight you can't change; position you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Don't let him get in your head so much. Ask him instead what baby's position is as, imo, it is a far more important gauge. They so frequently ignore position and get all set on weight. Weight you can't change; position you can.
    All they said is he was head down. I won't be seeing him again anyway because he said my midwives can do the next ultrasound so im not so worried about what he'll say. They can make me schedule a c-section based on a weight estimate and im not doing it even if they try. He said the baby may be 7 or 8 lbs if I go full term, that's not exactly huge.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast