Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

It's always good to have options!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    I joined but didn't post.
    Go post your update! Did you find the thread that mctlaw started? She has a different user name there, but the title was something like VBAC hopeful in CT.

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    If anyone is still interested in my saga, here's the latest. I went for the NST today. My favorite midwife, the one that was with me during my last birth was there. I told her how I was pissed and was leaning toward finding a new practice. She said I should just talk to the Dr. because all they want is for me to know the risks. She said their issue is that the longer I labor, the higher the chance of an infection I'd I end up needing a c-section. I'm not sure I get that but im going to look it up. She said to tell the Dr. I'm not comfortable doing a c-section at 39 weeks for no good reason. She said they won't want me to go past 41 weeks but she doesn't think I'll make it that long anyway and she said they'll do stuff to help me go into labor before that.

It turns out it was that damn MFM that recommended 39 weeks, he never said that to my face. He just said he couldn't tell me what my odds of a successful VBAC would be. The OB's who plugged all my info into their algorithm for success came up with a 37% chance of success.

So, I made an appt to talk to the OB but I think I'm also going to call around and keep my options open.
    Sure, they want you to know the risks=we want to terrify you with a bunch of stuff we make up on the spot. Tell them you want them to spend equal time talking about the risks of C/s, and you want actual stats based on science.

The longer you labor the higher your chance of infection?! What?! Are they assuming you're going to labor for a long time for some reason? What algorithm are they using? I'm calling BS on their 37% chance.

Please do call around- the sooner the better. Seriously, these people are throwing up every red flag in the book. You can try to fight, but why? If you're in labor, and nervous, and they are throwing a bunch of scary made up stuff at you, are you going to be in the mindset to fight? Midwives are great. I adore them, and choose them for myself too, but when the poo hits the fan, their hands are often tied, and they have to go with whatever the OB says. I will bet money that if you stay with them, the next line will be either your fluid is too low, or the baby is too big and there's no point in even trying, so why not go ahead and schedule now so that it will be more convenient for you. And at that point, it's going to be harder or even too late to get into a good practice, and you're going to be stuck.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I did find the thread, I'll post the update.

I don't get the infection thing either. I will definitely ask about the risks of a repeat c/s. From what my midwife says this OB is really laid back and not pushy and she would be really surprised if she didn't go along with it. I asked my midwife what she would do I'd she were me and she said without question she would try for a VBAC. She said she had a VBAC years ago when people still thought a rupture was highly likely. She said I could just ignore what the OB says.

The algorithm is actually the one i posted about awhile ago. When I did it with my info I got 37% too and then some other people did theirs and posted what they got. I'll try to find the thread.

Well, if I get the doula she should help me with the fighting. I am going to call around though.

Here's the thread with the success calculator. http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=433329
    Last edited by KLD313; 07-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think the calculator is ridiculous. I got 43%. Of course, my baby was breech, and they didn't even ask about that, so I guess if I was speaking to them in real life, they would have told me my chance was 0%, bu there you go. I never got past 3.5 cm the first time around, but the "official" reason for my C/s was suspected fetal distress, so my score was higher b/c of that too.

I don't know if the regs for doulas are different in different states, but I know that hear, they can not help you fight. They can remind you of your wishes, but they aren't even supposed to interact with the medical team. (For the record, my OB is not like that, nor is anyone I would rec, but that is the rule.)

I'm going to PM you back about the other stuff so I can quote, and I started a new ICAN thread b/c I don't think most people were looking at the other one b/c they don't know of CT providers- I wouldn't have opened it if I didn't know the story.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Haven't been on much past couple days but just wanted to say you can do it! Good luck with the OB, but I definitely second JT's mom and other PP re: keep looking at alternative providers. It is so hard when you are in labor and in patient mentality, to fight against what a medical provider is telling you is the only safe thing to do.

I know you'll get lots of BTDT from the ICAN board, so I'll leave it at that. Just know I'm rooting for you!
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post

I don't know if the regs for doulas are different in different states, but I know that hear, they can not help you fight. They can remind you of your wishes, but they aren't even supposed to interact with the medical team. (For the record, my OB is not like that, nor is anyone I would rec, but that is the rule.)

I'm going to PM you back about the other stuff so I can quote, and I started a new ICAN thread b/c I don't think most people were looking at the other one b/c they don't know of CT providers- I wouldn't have opened it if I didn't know the story.
    The doula, from what I understand will slow things down and ask for some time alone to figure out what I want to do. That's basically what I was told by them, they also know my midwives and the OB's. When I had my DD my midwife advocated for me against the OB. I never even saw the OB until we decided to do the c-section. My midwife kept holding her off.

I think there are a lot of things that stupid calculator don't take into account.

I'll respond to the PM later.

They've changed my appt to meet with the OB twice now. The one I was supposed to see can't see me until august. Now I'm waiting for the midwife to tell me the next best one to see. Maybe they'll push the appt off for so long I'll just go into labor. Yesterday while strapped to the monitor for my NST i was having consistent off the chart contractions. They thought I was in labor but I wouldn't let them check my cervix. Obviousy I wasn't but these crazy strong contractions happen daily.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8