Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kitchen appliances......again

I know there have been several threads about this, but I have some specific questions. We NEED a new dishwasher, ans we are getting stainless to replace white. That leads us to wanting to replace the other appliances too. Fridge is working fine, but I'm in love with the new Samsung French door with flex drawer. Micro and range both are pretty crappy, so upgrading them would make me happy too.

Dishwasher: pretty sure we're going with KA, but unsure how important pot scrubbers really are. I want to be able to not wash my dishes off before I load the dishwasher.

Fridge: unless I suddenly find horrid reviews on the Samsung, we're going with that.

Range: we currently have a free standing, but I would rather have a slide in. Induction is a must. I'm leaning towards the Electrolux over the GE because I hate the cat eye look of the profile, but I really love the look of the frigidaire. The problem is that it is a hybrid, which I don't want. Do I jump on the Electrolux now (sears has it on sale) or wait a few months to see if something new comes out? I have read that the best time to buy is September or holidays.

Micro: I really like the idea of a speed oven, but my wiring is only for a 120. Does the advantium 120 have bad enough reviews to just skip the speed cooking idea and go with a microwave, or is it still worth it to get it, just get an extended warranty?

Speaking of extended warranties, I know sears prices theirs ridiculously high. I feel comfortable without getting one on the DW and maybe the fridge, but I know there have been problems with the range and especially the advantium. I there another place to get a good warranty?

We are shopping at sears because of the 0%financing offer, and they price match everyone else. Home depot is another option, although they don't yet carry Electrolux (they will begin to in August, but they are still not carrying KA).

TIA for all of the opinions!!!!

I would avoid Sears like the plague. I had horrible CS from them in two different locations. (You'd think I would have learned the first time, but they were the only place that carried the w/d I wanted. Next time I will switch appliances before buying from Sears.)

I had an Advantium and liked it, but did not have the lower power one. Also, honestly I used it as a microwave or as a convection oven or for proofing bread way more than I used it as a speed cooker. It was my big splurge. If I do another kitchen, I think I will skip it and go with a microwave/convection oven.

I would skip the extended warranties.

On the range, have you measured carefully and considered whether a slide in will work with your current counters and backsplash. I think I have heard sometimes switching creates minor cosmetic issues/gaps in counter/backsplash.

Catherine

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've had mine for several year and it seems like I pretty much have what you describe.

I have the KA with the pot scrubbers. I don't use them often, but I am very happy with the DW. It gets things clean, is very quiet doesn't leave spots, gets my plastics dry and the tines are far enough apart to fit my thick dishes. I would definitely buy it again. I can look up the specific model number if you want.

I have an electrolux induction. Mine is only a cooktop, with separate wall ovens. Love it and would definitely buy electrolux again.

I have the electrolux (It might be ICON their higher end brand) of the convection speed cook oven. I don't use it as much as I thought that I would. But it totally does what it advertises.
    The defrost feature works amazingly well without partially cooking my food. It does need 220 power.

I have a 2 or 3 yr old version of the samsung 4 door fridge. Mine has a drawer that is opened from the outside instead of the inside. LOVE IT. I've had repeated problems with the water on the door (not the ice) but I still love the fridge and would get it again. My family lives out of that fridge drawer.

I just ordered a Bosch dishwasher from Best Buy yesterday. They have a promotion that ends today. it's 15% off plus free installation and haul away Be Become a Rewards member and get Best Buy points. Opened up a credit card and got extra 5% off.

Good to know which model you want before going as they don't have all models on display.

ETA: They carry KA too. I think all dishwashers are 15% off.
    Last edited by Bryan mom; 07-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think if you build a few speed cooked meals into your rotation, you will find it very useful. We have several snacks we cook in it(think boxed frozen foods from Costco ) and probably 4-5 dinners we cook in it (all fish, tenderloin, Brussels sprouts, cinnamon rolls, chicken, actually much more) so we will have one in our next place too. I hate preheating the oven.

I would definitely buy the extended warranties--especially for the complex appliances you mentioned (new fridge, induction range, speed oven). The appliances have so many electrical components today that they are very likely to break down.

I know that home depot has a cheap 5 year warranty--my fridge warranty was around $100 for 5 years.
    DS1: 3/09
    DS2: 2/11
    DS3: 3/13

Beachbum, I would love the model number if it's not too much trouble.

I really prefer to shop at our local sears hometown store because it's locally owned. We have bought all of our appliances and yard equipment from there and have never had a problem. The associate also mentioned that he might be able to get us 12 mo financing instead of 6 month, which would be great. We could purchase it all with no financing, but the 0% is very appealing.

I'll check out best buy too. Maybe i can get sears to price match the free install too.

I was just looking at a maytag DW that has top rack only washing and sanitize, as well as fold down to keep things from flipping on the top rack. I'm kind of leaning towards that one now.

The reviews on the Bosch are great. I just can't get past the no heating element thing. Do plastics come out dry? We have sippy cups, plastic ikea plates for the kids, and plastic ikea cups. Adults drink from glass, but the kids prefer plastic.

If I recall correctly, Best Buy has a 18 month 0% finance offer for Rewards members.

I ended up getting a Bosch 500 series with bar handle and half load washing, as well as fold down in the top rack to keep plastics from flipping and to hold stemware. It has all of the features I was looking for, so I hope I love it. It was a special order though so it won't be here for a few weeks. I've waited 5 years, so another 2 weeks won't hurt too bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast