Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Oh, how I wish that worked in our house. When I am down one kid, the other two (regardless of which two it is) are great together. The three of them together are FERAL, and not in a good way.
    Why is this not a warning that anyone shares BEFORE you get pg with the 3rd? Seriously. And is there ANYTHING that could relieve some of the insanity instantly? I hate to do popsicles, but I'm wondering if maybe just some homemade "ice" molds would change their tune after we go spend 4 hours at the children's museum and I have to drag them out by their hair.

I found tonight that a bedtime snack of pita chips and hummus for 1, cheese sticks for 2 helped make tonight's home re-entry a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I then tell mine that if they don't appreciate the things we are doing, then we'll just stop doing them. I've canceled one thing this summer (just postponed it, really) and that seemed to wake them up a bit.
    I really need to do this. I struggle with it, because usually canceling something impacts another family or group of people, and it seems not fair to them, but maybe I need to plan a few things for just us (ice cream, movies) that I can then cancel to prove a point.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I also send them outside a lot. There are a lot of kids around, so they can easily find someone home to play with.
    This is why I hate our neighborhood. And the heat wave. And our backyard, which is lovely but gets zero shade.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Why is this not a warning that anyone shares BEFORE you get pg with the 3rd? Seriously.
    I know, right??? My new advice to everyone who thinks about number three is to stick with EVEN NUMBERS. Have two. Or four. But not three.
    Green Tea, mom to three

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 has only had 2 full weeks at home this summer, out of 4 since school got out. We have had our share of days where we did nothing. We've had 2-3 days where I have let the boys rot their brains with TV and other electronics all day. They are honestly happiest when they can just chill at home with nothing to do. Once, I asked them if they wanted to go out for ice cream and they declined by saying we had some in the freezer. The brain rotting days were great for me to either clean or just read. I recommend it!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, I soooo hear ya! We don't even have "summer break" since DH and I both work FT but on the weekends - everything we do is for the kids' enjoyment and when we get home, they are hot, tired, and GRUMPY GRUMPY GRUMPY. They will not nap despite how tired they say they are (today DD1 told me she needed "another nap" because she was tired...but she never had a nap to begin with!) They whine, fight, and have meltdowns over the dumbest things. DH and I yell, yell, and yell some more, as we are also hot, tired, and grumpy because we didn't have time to grocery shop and still have no food in the house, and have 2 little girls begging us to take their shoes off FOR THEM and get them this or that... When the heck will kids be happy to get home, grab a tall glass of ice water, and SIT DOWN WITH THEIR FEET UP??? LOL. We've even tried (out of desperation) to get them to watch TV for a couple hours - and THAT makes them grumpy! They watch, zone, then whine, whine whine.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your b!tch. All I can say is...thank goodness they have to go to daycare on the weekdays because being at work is seriously when I recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    (the irony is that I actually think I suck at math, since my parents made me hate it so much, I'm like the anti-asian stereotype when it comes to math)
    and I suuuuuuuck at math, couldn't calculate tip in my head to save my life.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's weird, but I find it takes my kids a while to get back into the groove of playing with each other during the summertime. They need that unstructured time at home with free play to work it out and start relating to each other in summertime mode. The beginning is rough but after a couple of weeks they get it.

In the meantime, can you pull one of them aside on a rotating basis to help you with things? They can help put breakfast together, wipe the table down, plan/prep dinner, pack snacks and waters for the park, start a load of laundry, etc. You can shift the dynamic, spend some one on one time, give them experience with household care (appreciation? ) and maybe help things get back on track.

GL and I hope it gets better! Nothing like yelling at kids "stop screaming a each other!" at the top of your lungs and I am definitely guilty here .
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

And another sanity saver is that everyone goes to their own rooms (or a room by themselves like the playroom) for 1-1.5 hours everyday at 1 pm. They need the time to recharge an I need a break!
    K

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Maybe it would help to take some "you" time so they appreciate the family outings more.

My goal (not often reached these days) is to hit they gym from 9-10 every morning. Kids hang out in the gym daycare.... fun but still, just toys and random other kids indoors, not AWESOME. Then we go do some fun family thing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Oh, how I wish that worked in our house. When I am down one kid, the other two (regardless of which two it is) are great together. The three of them together are FERAL, and not in a good way.

OMG that is US! 2 of any combination is awesome. 3 is a clusterf*ck.

And mine are pretty yucky at the end of a fun day too. That is why the last hour before dinner is TV TIME BABY!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by teresah00 View Post
    My kids have an hour of quiet time I. Their rooms every afternoon while the toddler is napping. Otherwise they drive each other, and ME batty.
    I'm curious - for those of you who do quiet time, how old are your kids? Mine are 9.5, 8 and 6. I don't think quiet time is going to fly here, but would love to hear from parents of older kids that that works for.
    Green Tea, mom to three

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    OMG that is US! 2 of any combination is awesome. 3 is a clusterf*ck.
    That made me laugh out loud. Seriously why aren't there warning posters in the OB's office?? If I weren't so old and tired I might try for a fourth just to get an even number. My luck I would have twins and end up with 5!
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast