Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default UPDATED - Feeling sad for my summer birthday kid

Update in post 38!

Party's this weekend.

Of 6 friends, 3 RSVP'd yes. 2 RSVP'd no. 1 didn't bother RSVPing at all.

One of the 3 families coming just texted to cancel because something better came up. It would sting a whole lot less if this wasn't the closest of DD2's friends we invited, and pretty much the only one that she cared was there. The date was cleared with this family TWO MONTHS AGO.

I get that summers are busy for everyone, but hey, at least wait until the day of to text me and lie that your kid is sick or something, OK?

Grr.

Sarah
    Last edited by sarahsthreads; 07-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry! That is awful for them to commit and then change their minds because something better came up. Related to this, I dislike the "Maybe" option on evite; sure sometimes there is a legitimate reason for maybe, but isn't it usually "waiting to see if anything better comes up". I had DS2's party on June 24 and even though it was early in the summer, there were still so many people on vacation and stuff. Hard time to have a b-day party, for sure.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

That's awful . I would text back and lay on the guilt. Let them know that DD is SO DISAPPOINTED, especially since you cleared the date with them and she was SO HAPPY they could come.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Oh, that's so disappointing! Could you do something extra special since its a small group? Like maybe a big trip (amusement park? Museum?), day at the beach, a sleepover party, or something like that? (I'm blanking on more ideas)

ETA: Just re-read your post and realized its this weekend so I'm sure you have all the details worked out. Maybe for next year? You could put a positive spin on having a small party by doing something you couldn't do with a lot of kids.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

SummerBaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I feel your pain. Both of my girls have July birthdays. I had to reschedule DD2's Build a Bear party twice to get the minimum 6 kids! People are so rude about RSVP too. I had two people respond they were coming to the party (which was Sunday) and just not show up- no call, no email- nothing. Last year I had the party before school let out in June and that seemed to work better.

Val

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    That's awful . I would text back and lay on the guilt. Let them know that DD is SO DISAPPOINTED, especially since you cleared the date with them and she was SO HAPPY they could come.
    I so badly want to do this, but DH is adamant that I wait until I cool off. I'll probably mention that they can stop by sometime and pick up the kid's goody bag since they're all made up anyway. (Is that passive aggressive...enough?)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm so sorry .

It's my big fear. DD's birthday is in early June and we did her party the Saturday after her birthday, which was the Saturday after school got out. I was worried people would have left town already, but it was okay.

DS2's party is Saturday. I cleared the date with everyone and I think they're all coming. He's turning 4 too and is so very excited that he's having his first party. He's been through DS1's and DD's this year and it's his turn! I am sure your DD must be doing the same! I hope she has a great party with the kids that are there!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by deborah_r View Post
    I'm so sorry! That is awful for them to commit and then change their minds because something better came up. Related to this, I dislike the "Maybe" option on evite; sure sometimes there is a legitimate reason for maybe, but isn't it usually "waiting to see if anything better comes up". I had DS2's party on June 24 and even though it was early in the summer, there were still so many people on vacation and stuff. Hard time to have a b-day party, for sure.
    I sent paper invites! No "maybe" option allowed.

Although for me "maybe" on evite usually means "we have tentative plans for something else, but if we can rearrange that we will" and then I change it to "no" or "yes" as soon as I can. If I would rather see if something better comes up I just RSVP "no"!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by SummerBaby View Post
    I feel your pain. Both of my girls have July birthdays. I had to reschedule DD2's Build a Bear party twice to get the minimum 6 kids! People are so rude about RSVP too. I had two people respond they were coming to the party (which was Sunday) and just not show up- no call, no email- nothing. Last year I had the party before school let out in June and that seemed to work better.

Val
    Ugh, that sucks. We had a no-show at DD1's party (and they had called to confirm time and location the night before) and I spent the whole party feeling a little worried that something had happened.

I toyed with rescheduling, but I fear that it would just happen again. So we'll just go with the tiny party and hope for the best. Bonus: I only really need to make one batch of cupcakes!

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Summer bdays are hard. Last yr, only 3 families showed up for DS2's bday party. The yr before that we did cedar point as a family and just today, DS2 (who was given the choice of a family day out or a party) changed his mind about a party and said he'd like to do cedar point again. I have to admit that I am really relieved. My kids don't get bday parties every yr anyway. However, I totally get how hard it can be to have a kid with a summer bday. DS3's bday is also in the summer, BUT it is one day off from his cousins, so we try to do a combo family bday party for them and keep it small. I'm sure he'll want a big one maybe next yr or the yr after at some fun place, but I'm also hoping that he will be ok with a family fun day of his choice in lieu of a party, since I think that the attendance to summer bday parties usually kind of sucks.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast