Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am so sorry! Are you sure it's because something better came up? If so I think you have every right to lay on the guilt. Really. That was just rude of them.

And for the party...I say bring out the pony! Do something big and extra special for your DD and the 2 lovely partygoers who WILL show up!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am so sad for your DD but I hope that she has a wonderful party regardless! I can't believe that someone would un-rsvp for a "better" opportunity. So rude.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesmom03 View Post
    I am so sorry! Are you sure it's because something better came up? If so I think you have every right to lay on the guilt. Really. That was just rude of them.

And for the party...I say bring out the pony! Do something big and extra special for your DD and the 2 lovely partygoers who WILL show up!
    Yep, she texted me with details of what they would be doing instead. *I* don't consider it better, but I know she does.

LOL about the pony! I think DD2 would be happier with a bounce house - but we aren't likely to get either at this late date! I'll settle for small but fabulous. Maybe for once, with so few people there, I'll get to actually live in the moment and take lots of pictures...right?

But you know what? DD2 *really* wanted a piñata, but I am *so* not a fan (I hate the free-for-all and tears that happen once it breaks.) But if there are only going to be three 4-year-olds, a 7-year-old big sister, and a couple of older kids, maybe I'll get her one. I think I can trust the big kids to not be super grabby, especially with a reminder, and there are few enough little kids to not cause too much chaos.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Yep, she texted me with details of what they would be doing instead.
    wow, are you serious?? that stinks, I'm sorry. I seriously can't imagine telling someone at the last minute "oh sorry, we're not coming to your kid's party bc we decided to do XXXX instead." Especially if I knew they were close friends with my DC! Sheesh!!

I dislike pinatas for the same reasons but I think it would be fun with such a small number. I also think you could get a dreaming deal on a bounce house if you all around today - somebody has to have one that's not rented!

Then if you're friends with the rude mama on FB be sure to post lots of happy party photos and gush about the best party ever.

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yep, she texted me with details of what they would be doing instead. *I* don't consider it better, but I know she does.
    wow, that is so rude. Like really, really rude.

I hope you can forget about your thoughtless friend and have a great time at the party!!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Probably, although I don't know...are two kids coming to a birthday party too pathetic for words?
    Definitely not! We never have big parties here and they are just fine. This year, DS1 (8), invited 3 boys. DD had 4 girls, and DS2 is having 3-4 boys come. Small is just fine and I think 2 is just as good as 3 or 4.

But you know what? DD2 *really* wanted a piñata, but I am *so* not a fan (I hate the free-for-all and tears that happen once it breaks.) But if there are only going to be three 4-year-olds, a 7-year-old big sister, and a couple of older kids, maybe I'll get her one. I think I can trust the big kids to not be super grabby, especially with a reminder, and there are few enough little kids to not cause too much chaos.

Sarah
    I can't believe people do that - text with the other plans. How do they not know it's rude??

We did a pinata for DD's birthday. She has wanted one forever. It was fine. They were 6, so a bit older. But, I just told them that there was plenty for all. I also picked out everything that went in, so I told them that they each got 1 of the things that were not candy - toy rings, necklace, bouncy ball, etc. It was amazingly fine and not a problem at all. The pinata is really hard to break though! Make sure you have a heavy bat and give them some help.
    Kris

I'm sorry. That stinks! I never realized a summer birthday would be a problem but I guess it does make sense. I had the same problem with my birthday (2 days after Christmas), everyone was ALWAYS out of town/etc.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Your friend is incredibly rude. Wow. Just wow. And to potentially hurt a child no less.

I think you should do the pinata and just have a BLAST. I don't think your daughter will mind a small party. They seem to be best enjoyed by the birthday child since the bigger parties can get overwhelming.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agree with pp that mother of best friend is totally rude- and to give you a reason why they are blowing you off...... in some ways I'd almost want to do the same thing, when her dd's special day comes around, just so she can see how it feels. I'd also want to be less available for a while with that family, and maybe focus on fostering relationships with those kids/families that are attending.

I'd say make the party special- have the big kids come! Make it special with the pinata! It'd be great fun, esp if your DD wants a pinata! I'd look at the bounce house too- that could be fun, if it's in the budget.

And definitely throw those pics onto FB and gush about how wonderful your DD's special day was!

Hope she has a great day!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast