Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 4 days 104 fever no other symptoms

Hi.

I'm hoping seasoned mommies and daddies can help me figure out what's going on with my 9 month old son.

We are planning to go to the pediatrician today but I would still like to hear from you.

For 4 days now he has run a consistent 104 degree fever.
    He's irritable at time but for the most part, he's attentive and curious and playful, like he usually is.
    He's a bit more clingy but that's understandable when you are running a fever.

He has a few mosquito bites but no rash.
    He is urinating frequently.
    He poops normally.

He nurses normally maybe a little more often..
    We had started introducing solids, baby led for a few weeks but since he started the fever, he isn't interested in eating anything.

His sister had a slight sore throat on Sunday the first day he spiked a fever but some veggie soup and she's fine.

We were outdoors in the morning on Saturday (high 80's/low 90's & humid) with some friends but we kept him in the shade and hydrated.

We have been keeping him in the cool indoors. He just hangs out in his diaper as he is so warm.
    When the irritability is too much for him we give the dosage recommended by our pediatrician of acetaminophen. We try not to administer it more than twice a day. Our family leans towards avoiding medication if possible.

104 is too high for teething.
    I'm gathering he has a viral infection.
    What could the pediatrician say other than let it run its course?

Thanks.
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

Might be roseola. It's a very high fever for a few days. Then the fever breaks and the child has a non-itchy rash. Once the rash appears, it's fine to resume normal activities.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Is he still sleeping like he normally does? One good indication of an ear infection is when a good sleeper stops sleeping.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    Is he still sleeping like he normally does? One good indication of an ear infection is when a good sleeper stops sleeping.
    He awakes up a few extra times at night screaming in discomfort I believe due to the fever spiking at night.

Wouldn't ear infections also show with ear tugging?

Thanks.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Might be roseola. It's a very high fever for a few days. Then the fever breaks and the child has a non-itchy rash. Once the rash appears, it's fine to resume normal activities.
    Hmmm. I'll keep an eye out for a rash.

Thanks!

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

does the fever react to advil? My daughter went through a 4 month period where she would run a 104-105 for 3 days, but from 5am-12 am it would come down with advil and then run back up in the afternoon. Other than lethargy, she would exhibit no other symptoms. Then the cycle just stopped. Dr. though it was a virus, but it could have also been high fever syndrome. Definitely go to the dr and look out for the rash.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids never seem to present with typical symptoms for ear infections, so I don't think you can rule that out without havin it checked. Esepcially if he is waking up at night in discomfort. That being said, a sustained 104 temp in an 8 month old is out of my comfort zone. I probably would have taken him to the ped earlier. I have four kids, and am generally pretty laid back, but that's high for an infant.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

Smile

Thanks everyone.

The doc said no ear infection.
    She said to monitor and that's it. She suspects mild virus.
    I plan to keep an eye out for a rash.

Never heard of the fever illness. I'll look that up.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and info.

Kids pull at their ears because they are there. It doesn't mean there is an ear infection.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaS View Post
    Kids pull at their ears because they are there. It doesn't mean there is an ear infection.

Thank you for reminding me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast