Thread: Nanny Question

Default Nanny Question

I am pregnant with my first child and due in October. I will be off work for two months returning to work in mid December. Unfortunately, due to my job I can't take any more time off. As the baby will be so young when I have to go back to work, I have decided that a nanny that comes to our house will work out best for our needs. My question is, when should I start to look for a nanny. I have this overwhelming desire to get everything taken care of now as my biggest fear is that I will have to go to work and will have no one to watch my baby, but when I look at adds on craigslist it seems people want to start right away. No one is looking for a job that starts four months, or even two months, in the future. Also, what is the best way to search. I have seen websites for expensive nanny search companies, but then I see those same companies advertise on craigslist where I am looking so that really seems like it may be a rip off. I have also heard about nanny seach websites, but I am not sure how effective they are. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I understand how you want to find someone now, however you are correct about most nannies are looking for work to start right away. I went through an agency and they suggested not interviewing until 2 weeks before you needed someone because their nannies were ready to start. I did have one start the last week I was home so I would have several days with her and baby before going back to work. I found a great nanny through this agency & they did all of the work. I believe the fee was 15% of a years salary. It was well worth it to me at the time. However after leaving the workforce & the nanny going back to teaching I found an amazing part-time nanny on Craigslist. If you don't want to use an agency put the word out to everyone you know that you are looking for someone. If any of your friends have nannies they often have friends or family looking for work. If you use Craigslist place an ad with as many details as possible about what you are looking for. The way people respond will tell you a lot about them.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well it depends ... in Boston area it would be about 6-8 weeks before you need a nanny when you'd start looking. I found a local mom board was best as well as word of mouth for finding a great nanny!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07