Default Funky smelling canvas tote

How do I get rid of the horrifying smell? The bag reeks of feet or something. DH left wet swim stuff in there in the car for two days, but the smell isn't mildew. It's worse! The tote is a stiff canvas, natural with navy straps, and it has an embroidered logo on the side from my dad's company. I know it's silly, but since my dad passed away, I attach sentimental value to practically everything he gave me, and I used this tote for DS because it was from my dad. I really want to save it! The tote label says I must spot clean only. Should I ignore this advice and chuck it in the washer? I've sprayed it with vinegar, which usually deodorizes everything. I also tried Nature's Miracle. Nothin'. Help!!!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would try nature's miracle for Urine stains. I have had better luck with they than the plain old Natures miracle. I recently found an old sippy full of spoiled milk in DS's backpack. The whole house reeked when I took it out of that backpack and found that it had leaked. I doused it with NM for urine and it too the smell out just great.

After you try that, I'd hang it in the sun to dry. Don't put it in the dryer!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hmm, can you wash it on a delicate mode in cold water? Then see how it is? If it still stinks, I would lay it out in the sun to try to get the stink out. I suspect that the reason they don't want you to wash it, is probably since it will shrink and get really wrinkly. So, def air dry and you might have to take an iron to it. If you have some, bac out might work too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs