Thread: We've been sick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default We've been sick

DS got sick about a week ago while we were visiting my parents in MI. There's nothing quite like waking up at 2am because your kid is vomiting all over you. He threw up 3 times (on me and the bed) and then said, "I'm done with the bed. I want to get dressed now."

He's a little trooper when he's sick, doesn't really complain, just wants to cuddle. He didn't want to be away from me all, even laying down with a pillow and blanket in the bathroom while I took a quick shower.

He had a mild fever the next day, but recovered quickly and was soon back to his usual self.

A few days after we returned home, and while DH was traveling for work, I got sick. It hit me much harder than DS, with a high fever, a lot of pain, unable to keep anything down, and lasting several days. (My fever finally broke last night.)

Before DH came home, DS did his best to try to take care of me. He was so sweet. He kept bringing me blankets, water, and small toys. He would put his hand on my forehead and ask me, "How do you feel?" He climbed into the bed and cuddled me, telling me that I would be OK. I was so deeply touched by his efforts. It was the most empathy he has ever shown. I really saw a new side of him.
    Last edited by Gena; 07-23-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Bleah. I hope you all are feeling better!!!!!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post

Before DH came home, DS did his best to try to take care of me. He was so sweet. He kept bringing me blankets, water, and small toys. He would put his hand on my forehead and ask me, "How do you feel?" He climbed into the bed and cuddled me, telling me that I would be OK. I was so deeply touched by his efforts. It was the most empathy he has ever shown. I really saw a new side of him.

Ah, don't you just love when they do surprising little things like that? A little silver lining to the icky sickness!

Hope you are all feeling better soon.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i love seeing flashes of new empathy from ds, so i know that brightened your sick days! sorry you were feeling icky, though.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

Oh I am sorry you all have been sick. But that's great that ds stepped up and was so sweet.

Catherine

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sorry you were both sick. What a sweetie your ds is!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Glad you are starting to feel better! I am sure that this empathy not only brings hope for the long term, but also will be a long term bond between the two of you.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

jenfromnj is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry that you were sick (and especially while your DH was away), but how sweet that your DS was trying to take care of you!

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry to hear bout the sickness but so delighted and touched to hear about what our DS did!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hope you're on the mend.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10