Default Toddler Bed or Twin Bed?

Hi all,

We are expecting our second baby in Nov, and plan to transition our daughter to a 'big girl' bed. She will be 2 years old. I would love to hear your experience with transitioning your toddler to a twin bed. Did you have luck going straight from a crib to twin bed (with rails)?

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I moved both kids straight to a twin from the crib, and used pool noodles under the fitted sheet as rails. Worked great both times. ETA: both slept MUCH better in a bed than in the crib! My older son started taking 3-hour naps (had been 30 min napper).

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We were given a toddler bed, so DS started off in that. We also had a full bed in his room for guests. One night we found him asleep in the full bed and he never went back to the toddler bed. I would skip the toddler bed.
    DS - 11/08
    DS2- 2/13

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We transitioned DS from crib to full bed, and anticipate the same for DD. One trick that worked well though was to initially just put the mattress on the floor. We actually bought the bed later, but if you already have one you could just wait to assemble it. If you're buying new just start with the twin mattress, and once you decide what kind of bed you want get that and the box spring if needed (many kid beds don't need one).
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

DD went straight from her crib to a twin bed with a safety railing without any issues. She was a little over 2 1/2 when she made the switch.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd skip the toddler bed. They outgrow them so quickly, and if they're ready for one they're ready for a real bed.

I think you should go for the toddler bed, as the new born is so small so it should be kept in a safer place and must be care for it.

I've been looking into the same thing. People seem to recommend twin bed as it's cheaper in the long run. I found some nice rails on One Step Ahead.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did crib to twin with both boys and it worked great!
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

IKEA has at least one bed that "stretches" lengthwise as your child grows. If I was buying I'd get that or a twin.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB