Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll try to hit Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor LOFT, Eddie Bauer, Limited and Talbot's over the week-end. Not sure if we have all of these stores in one mall though. And hopefully, BR Jackson fit pants would work for me.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    First of all, you have to let go of the expectation that pants will fit your body type off the rack. You will have to pay for tailoring if you have a wide hips-waist ratio. Get pants that fit your hips and legs well, and then take them to a tailor to get them fitted better in the waist.
    I am saving this option for last resort, in case I can't find any of the rack pants. I have had things tailored in the past, which was not that expensive when I lived in Eastern Europe, but would prefer not to do it now since I am in the process of losing weight (hence in the market for only 1-2 pairs of pants) and don't have a good tailor.

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have always loved the BR Martin fit for the waist/hip difference, esp when I was an 8-10 over there, and sometimes found the Jacksons to be too hippy for me. Now that I'm a 4 over there, I love the martin and have also come to like the Jackson, although I prefer the martin fit, esp in the wool trousers.

I have come to find that belt loops/that really can hold a belt are essential esp if losing weight, to continue to wear the larger size ones before i came down enough sizes to buy again. I also had some waists taken in again.

Before I was able to find a good tailor close to home by word of mouth, and when I was new to town, I asked BR which tailor they used. I was able to go there on my own (not through BR) and have waists taken in on some pants, and they did a good job but it was a couple dollars more than i liked to pay and it would add up.

I asked around at another nice shopping center and found most of the jeans places/boutiquey places all used the same outside tailor, and this tailor wasn't so $ and also did a great job w/waists.

That is what Oprah's show used to say, get pants that fit your hips and have waists taken in.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you tried Halogen curvy fit at Nordstrom? I am much curvier than you, and wear the plus-size version, but they are about the only pants that fit me properly in the waist and everywhere else. I have them in black, chocolate brown and charcoal. I'm wearing the charcoal gray pair I just got during Anniversary Sale right now.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Have you tried Halogen curvy fit at Nordstrom? I am much curvier than you, and wear the plus-size version, but they are about the only pants that fit me properly in the waist and everywhere else. I have them in black, chocolate brown and charcoal. I'm wearing the charcoal gray pair I just got during Anniversary Sale right now.
    No, I have not, but now will be sure to. Are these Halogen Curvy Fit Pants the one you like?

Quote Originally Posted by nupe View Post
    I have always loved the BR Martin fit for the waist/hip difference, esp when I was an 8-10 over there, and sometimes found the Jacksons to be too hippy for me. Now that I'm a 4 over there, I love the martin and have also come to like the Jackson, although I prefer the martin fit, esp in the wool trousers.
    Thank you for suggesting Martin fit trousers, and advice on finding a good taylor. I'll add them to my "try on" list for this week-end mall trip. Hopefully, my BR will have them in stock in my size.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kozachka View Post
    No, I have not, but now will be sure to. Are these Halogen Curvy Fit Pants the one you like?
    Yes. It looks like they've added belt loops for fall 2012, which according to one or two comments, people don't like, but those are the pants. If they fit you well, they're a good deal and hold up well.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I am back to report on my search for a perfect fitting classic black wool pant. I went to Banana Republic, Nordstrom and Saks over the weekend and tried a bunch of pants on. I also received yet another pair of black pants from MyHabit.com and will be sending them back. Saks had the best service, the most knowlegeable and personable sales person and best selection of missy style trousers of the three, plus I had a bunch of Saks gift cards (from DH's corporate and my Saks credit card points), so I ended buying from them even though they were the most expensive by far. Saks also had a fitter who pinned the pants on me, and sent them into alterations, as I ended up going up in size to get them to fit right. Now I am in the process of getting a price adjustment from Saks. I don't mind paying for alterations, in my mind it's like consulting fee (as Nordstrom card holder my alterations would have been free), but $100 price difference is just too much.

Here are the pants that I ended up buying in size 10 and have them taken in. Linking to Nordstrom site since they have better price, in case anybody else is in the same boat. They are by Lafayette and the cut is called Menswear.

I did end up trying on and rejecting, Banana Republic Jackson (way too big in size 10 and too small in size 8, did not love the fabric) and Banana Republic Martin fit (too small in size 10 and too big in size 12, did not love the fabric), Nordstrom's Classiques Entier® Flare Leg Stretch Wool Pants (too small in size 10, did not the fabric). After further consideration, I decided not to even try on Halogen 'Taylor' Curvy Fit Pants as I want pants that are almost entirely made from wool with a heavier feel/drape to them and these are from polyester and viscose rayon (plus reviews were so-so for the new cut), so I knew they won't work.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Great pants! The waist already seems smaller, and
    I like that the bootcut isn't a huge flare. Very classic. I could see them lasting a very long time. Excellent reviews on the fabric too. I know the BR wool isn't thick and drapy, but they are still better than you average mall pant, for my purposes.

I seen that Lafayette brand at NR sometimes. I'm sure it's a steal if you can get them marked down.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2