Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taking a 6 month old to the beach

Any tips? As a FTM, I could use any ideas, tips or product recommendations you have. But please, I am fully aware that my baby shouldn't be exposed to too much sun. I feel like that goes without saying. We will be going in September when (hopefully) it's not blazing hot and he will be around 6 months then.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A tent of some variety- I think there is an LL Bean one that gets recommended (a pop up variety). I've seen people bring baby pools to the beach and I always thought that looked smart- some safe body of water to cool off in.

No need to jump to us calling you a bad mom. Give us a chance.

sorry to get defensive I asked my friends on facebook and got that suggestion alot. Come on people!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I took DS to Cancun at 6 months. We brought an inflatable baby pool for him, we mostly used it in the terrace outside our Villa, never took it down to the beach. I have seen families bring them to the beach, fill them up and let the sun warm the water a little bit before putting baby in. I also bought something similar to this to use at the pool.

My mom also got a small beach tent for him (from BRU), though we didn't use it much, he refuse to nap there so I mostly would just take him inside at nap times.

I also brought reusable swim diapers (Imse Vimse brand IIRC), thankfully he never pooped in them, so I just hand washed them in the sink every night.

Since he was starting solids we also brought an inflatable booster seat from Target to use instead of a highchair. And I brought jarred baby food with me.

At that age it's still pretty easy to travel, IMO. Our Ped gave us the OK to use sunblock, (after, of course, emphasizing he shouldn't be outside from 10-4 - it was July), we used California Baby sunblock.

We got an umbrella stroller with good recline for that trip, it was very useful at the airport and when we went out for dinner (DS slept in it with no problem). We're going to the beach in a couple months an I'm tempted to get a water sling (it's made of mesh so you can wear baby in the pool, Gypsymama makes a wrap, Taylormade makes a ring sling).
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Thank you everyone! These are great suggestions. Keep em coming!

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely baby powder. Great for getting sand out of all the sweaty baby creases!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Lands End has great long sleeved rash guards and board shorts so very little skin needs to be exposed.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Lands End has great long sleeved rash guards and board shorts so very little skin needs to be exposed.
    We're also big fans of LE rash guards -- 8-y.o. DGD1 wears the long-sleeved ones all summer -- but I'm pretty sure they don't make them small enough for the OP's 6-month-old. In fact, I've been annoyed that LE no longer makes a lot of the baby stuff they did 7 or 8 years ago.

Oh no! We bought it for ds2 4 years ago but I haven't had occasion to check again. Target has baby ones.

Target has baby rash guards, I saw them today and my Buy Buy Baby still had reusable swim diapers. We have an SPF baby tent that pops up but a family tent or large umbrella helps too (we have an umbrella by Adidas where the back pegs into the sand so it's like a half tent. I have an awesome wrap that I got from etsy that is mesh and works awesome.

Once you have more than one kid, you have no choice but to take your babies out into the sun, so you won't see most of us criticizing a baby on the beach. If you are nursing, make sure you hydrate because the baby will need more fluids too. Have fun!
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast