Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Babywearing vs infant seat

I want to babywear, is it realistic to think I would use it instead of an infant seat when out? People keep telling me you won't want to take the baby out of the infant seat if they are sleeping. Please let me knw your experiences.

Thanks

Could totally work, it just depends on your baby. My babies slept through everything just fine. Could take them out and move them as I pleased. As far as babywearing goes my newborns would pass out even if they went in wide awake.

You can definitely give it a go. Diapers.com and Amazon could have an infant seat on your door the next day if babywearing doesn't work out for you.
    Last edited by roseyloxs; 08-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I can definitely work. I always took DS out if the seat and put him in the bassinet/reclined stroller/carrier without problems. DD is 4 weeks old and I transfer her out of the car seat 90% of the time (unless its a super quick errand), and she never wakes up (DS would wake up more easily). Sometimes she wakes when I put her back in the car seat but as soon as the car starts moving she falls back asleep. Car seats are sooo uncomfortable for them IMO, both of mine have HATED it. Plus leaving them there for hours is bad for them.

I do think having the option is nice for a quick errand, preschool drop off/ pick up, if it's raining, etc, but I mostly leave the car seat in the car.

ETA: I never carry the infant seat BTW, I find it so cumbersome. When I do leave the baby in the seat I snap it on the stroller frame (Vista), there's no way I'd lug that thing around.
    Last edited by edurnemk; 08-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I always transferred dd from her car seat to either a stroller or a carrier. She woke up, but until she hit about six months she always went straight back to sleep. I was quite paranoid about extended car seat use as infant car seats restrict babies' breathing so I only used the car seat for actual car travel.

My favorite carrier when dd was little was my pikkolo. I also loved my freehand mei tai.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That's what I did with ds2. I can count on one hand the number of times it would have been simpler to lug the infant seat. One was my 2 week check up but one of the nurses held him when he got fussy in his stroller (which I had lugged up a flight of stairs). The other was eating out solo. The kind waitstaff actually cut my food for me. I think it's nice to have the seat, just in case, but I don't think it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    I want to babywear, is it realistic to think I would use it instead of an infant seat when out? People keep telling me you won't want to take the baby out of the infant seat if they are sleeping. Please let me knw your experiences.

Thanks
    DS HATED being worn for the first 4 months. I tried often, a lot of different carriers, even did a couple baby-wearing classes--no dice, he hated it. I ended up regretting the money I spent on a nice carrier and sling. And it's definitely easier, IMO, to not have to take them in and out of the seat when you can, especially when it's really hot/cold outside. And we also really liked when we went out to eat, just sliding the infant seat in the booth and letting DS snooze in his seat while we ate. He never minded his infant seat.
    Last edited by AngB; 08-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    DS HATED being worn for the first 4 months. I tried often, a lot of different carriers, even did a couple baby-wearing classes--no dice, he hated it. I ended up regretting the money I spent on a nice carrier and sling. And it's definitely easier, IMO, to not have to take them in and out of the seat when you can, especially when it's really hot/cold outside. And we also really liked when we went out to eat, just sliding the infant seat in the booth and letting DS snooze in his seat while we ate. He never minded his infant seat.
    We had the opposite with DS1. He hated his infant seat. We finally moved him out of it at 3 months, but should have done it sooner. We never took it out of the car anyway because I just wasn't strong enough to lug the seat around. This time we are using a convertible from birth and I plan to babywear as well.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

I have twins and never owned a snap n go or any sort of car seat attachment for a stroller. It's totally doable and I recommend it.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I agree, it's totally doable, and despite what others may say, it's actually easier! I had 2 infant bucket seat haters, and even when they fell asleep (which was only a handful of times) I'd unhook them, pop them into an already attached baby carrier and even if they woke entirely they'd be back asleep by the time we walked into the store.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    I agree, it's totally doable, and despite what others may say, it's actually easier! I had 2 infant bucket seat haters, and even when they fell asleep (which was only a handful of times) I'd unhook them, pop them into an already attached baby carrier and even if they woke entirely they'd be back asleep by the time we walked into the store.
    Good point in there. I always had the carrier on and just needed to plop baby in and do 1, maybe 2, more attachments. If it was super, super cold, I might make a run for the destination and attach when we are inside.

Honestly, I would always prefer my kids to be up and taking in the world vs sleeping when running around town- save the sleep for home so I could clean or take a nap. (first 2 months= sleep anywhere, anytime realistically though )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast