Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone have a twin over full bunk bed?

I am considering buying a twin over full bunk bed, for my 9 and 5 year old boys. I think I would like the full on the bottom as it allows us all to sit there and read, or the boys can play there. I could also lay there for a while with DS2 because both boys like me to stay in there a while before they go to sleep, and currently I rest on a pile of pillows/blankets on the floor for this purpose.

Just trying to think ahead if there is any reason not to go with this style. I need to research and see if they separate into separate beds for future use.

If you have one, are you happy with it, and has your children's use of it worked out like you had planned?
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My parents have twin over full bunk bed in their guest room & I hate it! Kids would probably like it, but there isn't enough room for an adult to sit up on in the bottom bunk.
    DS 2/09

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have one in DS1's room, since he was 6. Has worked well for sleepovers. He goes through phases of top bunk vs bottom bunk.
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have a Young America brand one that has a top and bottom setting for the side rails. It enables you to set the lower full mattress so adults can sit on the bed without bonking your head on the top bunk. Check theirs out! (If you set it on the high one, you can put a trundle or storage under the bottom bunk.)

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Got one for my 4 yr old daughter and we love it. She's now 6.5 and loves her bed.

We ended up moving dd2 into her room earlier this year. So we took the bunks apart, and dd1 gets her full bed and dd2 gets the twin bed. We all lay on the fullbed at bedtime and read books. When they were bunk beds, they made forts by draping sheets and blankets down from the top bed.

Whenever they are ready for separate rooms again, we will put the beds back into bunk position and get dd2 her own bed.

We got a twin over full bunkbed for DS. DD and DS both sleep in the bottom bunk together (DD is scared of the dark, so she'd rather sleep in his room). The kids LOVE it.... they put blankets up and instantly make the perfect fort.

I would definitely get one that converts into separate beds down the road (I think most do). I can sit on the very edge of the bed but not deep on the edge of the bed. I frequently get in there and read a book to both kids at once.

In full disclosure, changing the sheets on the top bunk is a nightmare. I am a sweaty pig when I am done - ha ha - I think that is just a bunkbed thing!
    DD (3/05) and DS (5/07) still harnessed and loving the cupholders in their Frontier 85s!

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stonecali View Post
    In full disclosure, changing the sheets on the top bunk is a nightmare. I am a sweaty pig when I am done - ha ha - I think that is just a bunkbed thing!
    Yes, I already know that particular hell with the IKEA loft bed we have now! Currently DS1 sleeps in the bunk of the loft bed and DS2 sleps on a mattress in the under part of the loft on the floor. I'm feeling a ltitle bad that he basically sleeps on a mattress on the floor.

I was hoping to spend less than $500, but my research is telling me that is not likely.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

We have this one: http://www.badcock.com/Badcock/Furni...=1344727002867 and absolute love it. It's survive three moves. it's made by this company: http://www.discoveryworldfurniture.com/index.htm

Ours wasn't designed to be split, however you could. It just wouldn't look ascetically pleasing.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're probably going to get a twin over twin bunkbed from this company:

http://www.bunkbedking.com/

My SIL has two sets from them and she loves them. I really like that the top bed is actually not very high up. The downside to this style, however is that there is not as much room on the lower bed for sitting and lounging.

The sets are very affordable and watching how my SILs kids have used the beds, I've said they are quite durable! She's had them for at least four years now and bought her second set last year.

We are going with twin over twin because my THREE boys share a room and we need all the floorspace we can get. We don't anticipate being able to separate them for awhile and space is at a premium.

Can I get updates on how your bunkbeds are holding up? We're looking to get a twin over full, and my kids are super rough on furniture--DD2 just broke her toddler bed (which admittedly was cheap) this week.

Has anyone gotten the PBK bunks? After making do with craigslist finds and hand-me-downs that are all falling apart, DH is willing to bite the bullet and buy new.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast