mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Beco or Pikkolo or..???

I've read through a bunch of recent forum posts and watched some Frogmama videos tonight but could still use some help figuring out which carrier to buy for a one month old. I'm looking for a carrier that is reasonable for 80-90 degree temps and is comfy for a newborn.

I have a Moby, an Ergo and a ring sling. Baby loves the Moby for indoor use but we both melt outside using it in the current temps. It's also huge and I don't like dragging it on the ground to put it on.

The Ergo is great for older babies but I'm not a huge fan of the bulk and heat of the infant insert and baby doesn't seem to like it.

The ring sling is fine for a few minutes but the one shoulder carry gets uncomfortable quickly.

So.....what do you recommend and what what else should I consider? Pikkolos and Becos seemed popular in one of the other threads. Are they enough different than the Ergo to justify a $100+ purchase?

Never had a becco so I can't compare them. But my pikkolo was worth every penny. I already had an ergo, but just couldn't get it to work until dd was much older--six or seven months. I loved my pikkolo and it got a ton of use. I also loved my freehand mei tei and those are a little less expensive. If you are a proficient wrapper the mei tei wouldn't be intimidating for you, plus I think it would be a bit cooler than a pikkolo.

Catherine

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've never owned a beco either, but have a pikkolo. I really like it, but didn't really start using it until DD was ~4 months. Before that it didn't seem to work as well for us. DD just didn't seem quite as comfy, and she didn't sleep easily in it (which is key for me with a carrier!)
    Lizi

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Beco Gemini, I really like it. DD is 4.5 wees old, we've been using it for a couple of weeks. I also have a Baby K'tan and a ring sling. DD prefers the Beco, followed by the k'tan.

The reason I got the Beco over the Ergo is that I read the Ergo is better for taller people, I'm not particularly tall (5' 4"), plus it need a separate newborn insert. I haven't used the Beco outside so I can comment on how warm it gets, it's so hot here we don't go out much and I think any carrier would feel too hot. Honestly if you have an Ergo the Beco seems a little redundant because they seem pretty similar.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm thinking about it a bit more today and the Freehand might be a good fit. I like that it should have some use after the newborn stage stashed in the diaper bag or bottom of the stroller. The Ergo is a little too bulky to carry around easily so the mei tei might come in handy.

I really like the Pikkolo and Gemini but am leaning towards both being a little too similar to the Ergo. I like the forward facing option in both but realize that probably wouldn't be comfortable for long.