Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What is too old for a Learning Tower?

DS is newly 4. I have been thinking about getting one for the past year (we were overseas before that and did not have room in our tiny kitchen). He really loves to help with cooking and projects at the counter, but I had pretty much convinced myself that I missed the boat and he wouldn't use it long enough to justify. Then today he got a bloody nose when he slipped off his little junky plastic stool and hit his face on the edge of our granite counter.

If I can find a used one, I am very tempted to get it but I don't know if it's worth it at this point (PS we plan to keep DS an only child so it's not like someone else would use it after he's done). Is it a waste to get one for a 4-year-old?
    DS age 9

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If he helps you in the kitchen, then I'd say it is worth it. We use ours a lot for dc to help cook with me or with visiting grandparents, or even to just occupy someone while I cook.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My 5 yo still loves ours. She uses it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

DD (who's 8yo) would *still* love one! Even for her, step stools are just too wiggly still. However, for most kids, I'd imagine by 6yo they'd be tall/stable enough for a step stool instead of a LT.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i would go for it. DS is 2.5 and he uses it multiple times a day..i could see him using it for another few years. he is SUPER tall and we JUST lowered it from the highest rung to the 2nd highest (i think there are 5 total?) I personally think it would be worth it.

even if he only uses it for a year or so, you can resell it on CL for a decent amount.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just got rid of a barely used LT, gave it to my sil. My opinion is that if you can find one used AND you have a large kitchen with extra space, get it. If you don't have enough space, forget it. My sil has a nice big kitchen, so I know her son will get good use out of it, but our kitchen is not very big and it ended up being in the way and ended up in our junk room, which was a waste.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

We had one and loved it. But then we moved and our current kitchen is too small for it. Our dd kept asking for weeks where it was.