Default Switch to regular milk at 11-1/2 months?

I'd planned to make the switch to cow's milk when we finished this can of formula, thinking we'd be close enough to DS's first birthday... but somehow it seems like we went through it pretty fast (we weaned a few months back). I either need to run to the store today, or make the switch!

He has no food allergies or sensitivities. Anyone make the switch before precisely 12 months? I'm inclined to just do it but I'm such a rule follower so I'm having second thoughts!

Thanks.

I did it when we ran out about a week early. It isn't like there is a magic switch that happens on the 1 year birthday, so 2 weeks doesn't make a big difference IMO
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I replaced bottles slowly for DS with milk over a week period. I know others have done it cold turkey. I would probably buy one more can to transition him, but that is just me.
    DS - 11/08
    DS2- 2/13

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I thought about doing a slow transition. Started it and the transition went so well, she was fully on milk with 10 days to go until 1, and I still had half a carton of formula. I think I transitioned her for 1.5 days. She did not need the transition.

ETA: I have heard that you want a longer transition if your DC has a constipation issue. Milk can aggravate it. Happened to a friend and her MD had her transition over a month so her DC was still having some formula at 13 months. He was also at the low end of the growth chart so there were other concerns.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our old Ped said it was OK to introduce cow's milk at 10.5 months. We didn't do it then, but she suggested it when I said I was thinking about weaning him at his 9 month appt, she said I could wait another month to wean him and then go directly to cow's milk.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I did it when we ran out about a week early. It isn't like there is a magic switch that happens on the 1 year birthday, so 2 weeks doesn't make a big difference IMO
    We were going to be out of town for DD 1st birthday, so I wanted to know if she would be ok with milk while we were still home. Ped said it was fine to switch before her birthday.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15