Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default The first years true fit

We are having to replace our true fit. Do we replace with a true fit again? Is ther a specific model that is now recommended? Or is there a better car seat than the true fit? We already have a britax in the other car, and we are not super handy with the installment. We personally find the true fit much easier to install. But if britax is a better made seat, please chime in. Or doe we get a sunshine? Or a different one. Sorry, I am confused, help!
    Eta: DS is almost 4 and 48lb and 42inch tall.
    Last edited by Sweetum; 08-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.

We had a True Fit Premier and it was a fine seat (had to get rid of it after a car accident). But I much prefer our Britax seats. I find it much easier to get a solid install with them than with the TFP.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Timely for me. I need a car seat too after an accident. And had a true fit. I'll be looking for responses. Thanks!

For a 4 year-old, I would look into a harnessed seat that converts to a booster, unless you have a younger child to pass a convertible down to. My tall-ish 4 year old in his TrueFit is probably only going to last another year before the harness is at shoulder level at outgrown.

The Britax Frontier is a good choice (my 9 yo DD still fits in it as a booster, and stayed harness in it until she was 7.)

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the Britax Frontier. My average size 5 year old DS has been in his for 2 years and has TONS of room left to be harnessed in the seat. It is a nice, solid install and converts to a booster when the harness is outgrown.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

Is the britax Frontier as good/safe as a convertible for an almost 4 year old or is it better for an older child who has outgrown his convertible. I keep thinking the convertible is better than the frontier.
    are there other options? are there other combination seats to look at before deciding on the frontier? thank you!!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Britax Frontier is a good seat for a 4 yr. old. I would only buy a true convertable seat for a 4 yr. old if you have another child who is going to be eventually using the seat. My 6 yr. old was in a Frontier at just shy of 3 yrs. old, and in a pinch if I had to use it for my 2 yr. old it would fit her nicely as well.

In regards to installs it's really all a personal preference. The Frontier we have is a beast to install if you aren't using latch, but I have heard that the newer model is much easier to install.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by annex View Post
    For a 4 year-old, I would look into a harnessed seat that converts to a booster, unless you have a younger child to pass a convertible down to.
    I agree. I wouldn't buy a convertible seat for a child that is past the rear-facing stage since you are paying for that feature. We have a Britax Frontier 85 and love it and would highly recommend it. But, if you don't want to spend that much, I'd recommend the Graco Nautilus or the new Evenflo Securekid. All three are harnessed seats (with higher harness slots than the Britax convertibles) that convert to a booster. The Frontier and Securekid have good belt fit when in booster mode, but the Nautilus in booster mode doesn't always fit all kids properly so some people end up buying a dedicated booster after the Nautilus is outgrown in harness mode. With that info in mind, my personal preference is either Frontier or Securekid, since you'll get the full use out of both.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Hmmm, thanks. Very good perspectives. Yes, I won't be rear facing him anymore so I don't need that feature. I guess I'll do into a store and see if he frontier is easy enough for me or DHt to install.