Default November Birthday Party ideas for 2 year old

DD will be 2 in mid-November and we still are on the fence as to how big a party we want to throw. Part of me wants to keep it on the small side and save the bigger ideas for when she is a little older and can remember it.

We have a limited budget this year, so nothing extravagant by any means. We live in So. Cal so we aren't talking about any serious winter weather, however there could always be the possibility of rain. We have a small house and having it at home is always an option, but any other ideas?

The only thing I can think of would be a park (as nice as it is most of the time, what would we do if it rains?), or an indoor playground such as Gymboree, etc. Since we aren't sure if we will include a ton of kids not sure if this would make sense this year.

What have you done for your late fall/winter kids?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did a park birthday for one of my 2 year old DC and I loved it. Very easy--they played, drew with sidewalk chalk, blew bubbles, and ate treats. It was great!

One year we had an early birthday party and went to a local pumpkin patch with hayrides and a petting zoo. It was very reasonable and the kids took home little pumpkins as favors.
    K

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would do something small or with your family only. As you said, the kid won't remember it and you're on a limited budget this year.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We invited 3 of his friends over for a teddy bear picnic. He had the cutest bear sweatshirt so I put him in that to make photo invites. We brought out all of our bears for the party. Snacks, cake, toys at home= a lot of fun.
    Eta- I kept it small bc of gifts. So close to the holidays, we really didn't need anything.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 08-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have only done house parties so far because we've only invited family and a few neighbors. It wasn't as organized in the sense of games and favors etc. We did a dinner and cake for DD's 2nd and a regular early evening party for her 1st.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We went to a fall birthday party last year. It was at a park and the kids painted pumpkins to take home (the birthday girl was turning 3).

I also love the Teddy Bears Picnic theme - would be super cute and inexpensive too if you want to invite a few kids.

We just did family/very close friends (all adults) for DS's second birthday. We were visiting from overseas and staying in a hotel, so I did sandwich meat/cheese tray, fruit and veggie trays, and cake all from Costco. We held it on a pretty patio area of the hotel.
    DS age 9

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS has a November birthday. For his 2nd birthday party, we did a bubble theme at our house. I actually got the idea from a mom here (this was 6 years ago, but I bet you could do a search and find her pics). I hired someone to come in and bring the bubble solution, little pools, etc., but you could totally do it on your own. The Bubble Lady had a small plastic pool filled with solution in my family room and a special bubble wand. She did some bubble tricks, put each of the kids in a giant bubble, etc. Then everyone went outside where there were about 3 or 4 other little plastic pools filled will solution and all kinds of different wands. We had about 20 kids here, but if you were having a small number of children you could totally do it with one little pool or even little tubs of solution. I liked that there was a little bit of structured time (in the house) and then a lot of unstructured time outside to play.