Default Need Backpack Recs

I'm looking for a backpack to use as my carry-on during an upcoming trip. I'm in love with the new Be Right Back from Ju-Ju-Be but I just bought another bag (and a fuel cell and a quick....) to use for short jaunts around town and I'm not sure if i can "sneak" another expensive bag purchase past DH this quickly. Plus I'm not 100% sure that it will fit everything I need and I'd hate to make that purchase only to find out that it won't work. I'll be carrying more than normal as we plan to use public transportation to get around (Toronto, btw) so I will be unable to leave some items in the car like I do at home. I plan on carrying DD in an Angelpack (7 months - 15 lbs) most of the time with an umbrella stroller for when either of us gets tired/hot/etc. (if the stroller makes it here in time... if not I guess I'm going without.)

Here is my "must have with me at all times" list:
    Breast Pump (Ameda Purely Yours) - fits perfectly in the afore-mentioned Fuel Cell with everything I need to pump (bottles/flanges/nursing cover)
    3-4 Diapers, wipes, changing pad
    Change of clothes (I always carry just a onesie but might need a sweater, idk)
    Blanket (muslin swaddling blanket from A&A)
    A few small toys
    3 bottles
    Bottle of water and single packages of formula
    Take and Toss spoons and a bib
    Small sippy cup?
    Pacifier Wipes and a small zippered pouch for my things.
    Angelpack when DD isn't being worn

I'd like to also fit a small netbook and my camera (dslr) as I really really don't want to put those in my checked baggage and risk them to customs but I think I can sweet talk DH into putting those in his carry-on bag if push comes to shove.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about a Vera backpack? I tend to use my Vera when we'll be on a daytrip, so gone ALL day. It's very "square" inside so you could put the fuel cell down towards the bottom and then layer up.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's still kinda pricey, but Lululemon has this backpack: The Wet Coast Pack. Their quality is top-notch and they seem to compartmentalize their bags pretty well for better organization. With all the gear you'll be toting, it would be nice to have designated sections/pockets. For your baby carrier, you could use a stuff sack, which will help keep it contained. I have a plain one made by Boba, but if you wanted something nicer, you could get one from Red Charlotte on etsy. For my diaper bag, I like to use these see-through zipper pouches to keep things organized: Travelon Packing Envelopes.

ETA: Ooo, looking at the backpack again, you could totally utilize the yoga mat clips to secure the stuff sack to the outside of it!
    Last edited by jam224; 08-27-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am a big JuJuBe fan and from the packing pics I've seen all of the above should fit in the new Be Right Back. Are you in the Pink Room at all? I am sure someone can test pack it for you with the stuff you want to have in it. And maybe if you get it in one of the more guy-friendly prints/solids, your hubby won't mind so much? Stargyle is very guy friendly.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    How about a Vera backpack? I tend to use my Vera when we'll be on a daytrip, so gone ALL day. It's very "square" inside so you could put the fuel cell down towards the bottom and then layer up.
    Thank you for the suggestion... During a google search to find out what a Vera Backpack was (I guess I'm sheltered, lol) I discovered a sale at ebags and decided to take the 30% and pull the trigger on a dadgear backpack... seems that lots of people like them so I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jam224 View Post
    It's still kinda pricey, but Lululemon has this backpack: The Wet Coast Pack. Their quality is top-notch and they seem to compartmentalize their bags pretty well for better organization. With all the gear you'll be toting, it would be nice to have designated sections/pockets. For your baby carrier, you could use a stuff sack, which will help keep it contained. I have a plain one made by Boba, but if you wanted something nicer, you could get one from Red Charlotte on etsy. For my diaper bag, I like to use these see-through zipper pouches to keep things organized: Travelon Packing Envelopes.

ETA: Ooo, looking at the backpack again, you could totally utilize the yoga mat clips to secure the stuff sack to the outside of it!
    Very nice backpack... I might "need" one of those when we get home. I didn't know there was such a thing as a stuff sack, but now I'm convinced that I need one, lol. I have quite a collection of cosmetic bags and pouches that are coming out of the cabinet for this trip for that exact reason.

Quote Originally Posted by azazela View Post
    I am a big JuJuBe fan and from the packing pics I've seen all of the above should fit in the new Be Right Back. Are you in the Pink Room at all? I am sure someone can test pack it for you with the stuff you want to have in it. And maybe if you get it in one of the more guy-friendly prints/solids, your hubby won't mind so much? Stargyle is very guy friendly.
    I figured that it all might fit and I also considered asking on the Pink Room forums about it but I made the decision to go with something cheaper to start with and here's why: I had a backpack that I used when DD was little and it drove me insane because I had to take it off to access things and I'm afraid that it's still going to annoy me and that it will only be used one or two times at most. I think that after this trip if I discover that it's easier now or more convenient than my messenger bag then I'll definitely consider switching over to the Be Right Back for our longer day trips (I love the feel of the fabrics and I'm totally in love with the print on the Licorice Twirl Fuel Cell I have) or the Wet Coast listed above depending on how big I think I'll need the bag to be. I don't worry about getting bags in guy-friendly prints because he'll carry anything I ask him to but he won't "wear" any of the diaper bags I've had... even a solid black one. I also don't ask him to carry bags for longer than a second as he's famous for just setting them in the shopping cart or the stroller and walking off. It doesn't matter how many times I get onto him for that and remind him that not only is my wallet in there but that DD's dinner is there also (this was before I had to start supplementing with formula so I couldn't exactly just go buy more) *sigh* what do you do?