Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default does your toddler require being completely naked to use potty

maybe it's a boy thing i dont' know..i've heard one other mom say her son was just like this, but i've never heard this from moms of girls. ds has been peeing/pooing on his bjorn potty very well for the past few days, and has been wearing his HA training underwear sometimes when we're at home..though one thing that is a PITA is when he realizes he has to go, he can't just pull down his underwear and sit on the potty..he has to take it COMPLETELY OFF. also he can't be wearing ANYTHING also, so when he wears his underwear is completely naked except for that.. Why is this? Will he outgrow this soon (i cannot even imagine having to use a public restroom while insisting he take everything including his SHOES off!! )

yes, totally normal and not sure when it stops. DS1 has been PTed for about 1.5 years and still removes his undies, shorts, shoes (and sometimes shirt) off to poop but thankfully daycare trained him to pee just pulling his undies down and he continued that at home. He never uses the public restroom to poop so no problem there and also avoids using it to pee unless we are out the whole day. He can hold it for atleast 4-5 hours so I haven't had much problems with the public restrooms.
    DS1 - 08
    DS2 - 11

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 STILL does this (just turned 5). He can wait til we get home most of the time which is good. I am curious to see if he stops this when school starts!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Lol, yes my kids were/are like this, esp DS2 and DS3. We were actually very afraid that DS2 would go to preschool and strip naked to use the bathroom. We used to refer to him as George Costanza, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Not completely naked, but both my boys have/had to completely remove their underwear and pants to poop. DS1 did it until he was 4?ish.

DS2 still does this for poo. We were at Legoland a few weeks ago when the urge for #2 struck. Talk about no fun removing shoes, underwear, and shorts in a hot, humid public restroom -- and then putting everything back on again without letting anything (including DS2) touch the floors or walls! Kinda like a cross between playing Operation and Twister in a public restroom!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

DD did this for close to a year. It stopped around 3 1/2 for her (she PL'ed around 2 1/2).
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD is doing this. She's not happy about the feeling of something around her ankles (we've been OK to keep a shirt or dress on, but pants around her ankles freak her out.)

Thanks for the reassurance from PPs whose kids did it too that it'll be a short phase.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DD used to say she was afraid she would get her pee on her pants/shirt, and that's why she only went potty naked.
    DD - 12/07
    DS - 1/11

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My brother did this when we were little. Only at home. I'll ask my mom when he stopped. (a funny childhood thing I had completely forgotten about, lol!)

Stachio definitely has to remove his shorts and undies completely. Frankly I encourage it or his legs are too close together for him to sit on the potty without making a mess. I try to get him to do the one leg out method...but it often fails.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast