Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default *update post #10* Juice fast

I'm inspired by her www.savorysweetlife.com/2012/08/my-journey-to-better-health-part-1/ and I think I want to do a juice fast to detox/help determine any food sensitivities if I have any (I think I may). Anyone done one?

Is a veggie fast better? Combo of both?
    Last edited by infomama; 09-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have not done a juice fast but I did do Dr Oz's 48 hour cleanse which I liked. It is on his website & he explains why he thinks it is better than a juice cleanse. I liked it & found it easy & was not hungry at all. I lost 3 lbs which I'm sure was mostly water but it was a jump start to getting rid of the holiday bloat. I have the "detox soup" in the freezer so want to do it again soon.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yes, I've done one. I lasted about 10 days before I broke down and had warm soup!

My DH and I were inspired by the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Its an awesome documentary, and there's a Facebook page as well.

We did mixture juicing with both veggies and fruit. Try to do more veggie than
    Fruit, as fruit has a lot of sugars in it. I lost 15 pounds, dh lost about 20.

Where to start? I am totally overwhelmed by all the fasts/cleanses online. I want a reasonable 'menu'...not one that is going to starve my body IYKWIM. Also...I don't have a juicer but plan to use my Vitamix.

Starting Jan 1st this year, I have been drinking green smoothies and juices everyday and have made significant improvements to my overall life. I have done a 7 day juice fast and my DH has done 30 and lost over 25 lbs.

I agree with PP about watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead as a great place to start. The movie is free online and would recommend everyone to watch it.

http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Smoothies and juices are different with the fiber. By doing a juice fast only, you are allowing your digestive system to only deal with nutrients and not have to process the fiber, giving it a break. Either way, injecting lots of healthy fruits and vegetables will make a significant difference.

As for recipes. Start really basic. You want to find something you will enjoy drinking. For green smoothies, use bananas as your base because they are sweet and mask a lot of the flavors. Spinach is a good starting point and eventually you will move on to stronger flavors like kale, collard greens or chard. Other nice flavors can be pineapple, oranges, apples. It is true that fruit has a lot more sugar, but you want to slowly find the right mix so that you are not grossed out and stop. The first smoothie I made was scary until I slowly added more bananas.

Here is a video that helped me get started with green smoothies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXr8-jru1KE

Feel free to PM me. I am more than happy to share my journey with anyone.

I'm a green smoothie veteran so I think I'll just get blog browsing for more recipes that gear towards cleansing/detoxing. My vitamix was a huge investment and there is no way I'm getting a single purpose machine like a juicer since I have the vitamix.
    Feel free to share your fav green smoothie recipes ! Just remembered these two are great resources http://www.rawfamily.com/
    http://greensmoothiegirl.com/
    Last edited by infomama; 09-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.

I think if you are a green smoothie veteran then you can just start with what you know. Simply flooding your body with wonderful veggies and fruit will detox / cleanse your body.

My DH is like a kid when it comes to juicing and really just wants fruits/carrots and will do a bit of spinach. But he is still achieving amazing results.

I am a big fan of rotating the greens. Similar base. For smoothie probably bananas, apples for base and sweetness. Then different greens. Variety in type and colors like red leaf lettuce or purple kale or rainbow chard. Or basil, mint, parsley.

Adding a touch of lemon or ginger can really enhance the flavors.

I am not big on recipes and think you shouldn't over think it. A fast will definitely jump start you, but ultimately the lifestyle change is needed. It has changed me and definitely wish you great success.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwish View Post
    I think if you are a green smoothie veteran then you can just start with what you know. Simply flooding your body with wonderful veggies and fruit will detox / cleanse your body.

My DH is like a kid when it comes to juicing and really just wants fruits/carrots and will do a bit of spinach. But he is still achieving amazing results.

I am a big fan of rotating the greens. Similar base. For smoothie probably bananas, apples for base and sweetness. Then different greens. Variety in type and colors like red leaf lettuce or purple kale or rainbow chard. Or basil, mint, parsley.

Adding a touch of lemon or ginger can really enhance the flavors.

I am not big on recipes and think you shouldn't over think it. A fast will definitely jump start you, but ultimately the lifestyle change is needed. It has changed me and definitely wish you great success.
    Really appreciate this. I have never added mint or basil and I have no idea why because I LOVE them. Such a supportive thoughtful post. Thanks!

Day 3 and I feel great. I am not totally fasting but I'm drinking green smoothies all day and eating a light meal at dinner time. Not hungry at all (shocker!) and craving the smoothies by morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast