Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which double?

npl is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Which double?

I'm trying to decide on which double stroller to buy. Mostly to be used for neighbourhood walks (bumpy sidewalks, some use on ice and snow). We might want to stick it in the trunk of our van, but not often, and usually with dh to help! It would live inside the house, either folded in our front coat closet, or open in the hallway if the kids are sleeping when we get home.

It looks like I have 2 choices:
    1) Used Valco Trimode from Kijiji/Craigslist for about $400 cdn all in (accessories, no tax)
    2) New MB Duet - $600+ for the stroller, $50 for the rain cover (essential in our climate) and 13% tax.

From the research I'm doing, although the duet is smaller overall, the seat width is the same as the TriMode. Is that really true?

Do you think the seats on either will be big enough to accommodate an average sized 4yo in a snow suit?

And, is there a compelling reason to go for the new Duet over the used Valco?

The only other comparable double I'm seeing on Kijiji/Craigslist is the Bob Duallie. Is that good for newborns?

Help me make a decision, please, as I'd really like to have something soon - it's getting to be tiresome to only go on neighbourhood walks with two strollers!

hi,
    I was faced with a similair situation and there are some stroller Gurus who will chime in also Im sure. Are these the only strollers available to you first of all. I chose a BOB over the MB Duo seemed like it had the biggest seat. I would definitely choose a DUO over DUET. The seats are bigger and for a four year old in a snowsuit it might be the better choice. I looked at the Valco but it cost more, couldnt find a deal on CL, and resale in my area made the BOB(new) paid 450, a better choice. The canopy height was tallest in the Valco. I would definitely choose between the MB duo, Valco Trimode or A BOB if it was up to me.

The BOB has a 70% recline so it is not okay for newborns. Its suggested to wait till 2 months and probably use a snuzzler still. The MB duo/duet and the Valco are suitable for newborns. Duo/Duet has a bassinet option also. Trimode has a bassinet -ish insert available husah? I think its called. Is the trimode an EX? They are the latest available and have better sun coverage.

Im in luv with my BOB. It has the best push. It is not fun to lift but folds up small enough for my volvo sedan trunk. Trimode wont fit, I tried even with wheels off. Good luck. Hope this helps.

That's a lot of great info - thanks!
    The new doubles are mostly out of my price range. The Duet is significantly cheaper new than the Duo, which makes a difference. A friend with the Trimode said she pushed a friend's MB double and found it so much easier to push, which made me consider it new. Used, I can only find the older models of the MB Duo, with the single sun canopy, which does not appeal, considering I have a newborn and a toddler.
    The Valco does sound better than the MB for seat size, then.
    My baby is nearly 7 weeks, so this time around I guess that the BOB would be OK, but we've had a few times recently when I really could have used a double, and I can see that happening again if we have another baby. And, my kids do sleep in the stroller when we are out, which is why I always try to get a flat recline.
    I'll look at the Bobs again, as I think I can buy them new more easily. Can anyone chime in on BOB for my situation? Especially size when open, because of bringing it into the house.

Default duo

There are a few places that are selling mbduos for 499. I just saw it in another thread. I have one, with the bassinet for when dd was an infant, and love it. I think you could fit a 4 year old with a snowsuit into one. But I do live in California, so my kids have never had to wear them. I did not find the bob seats bigger than the duo seats, as I squished my ds into a duallie seat at the rei sale, and he rides in the duo daily (looked similar to me). I also love the adjustible handlebar on my duo.

I believe that is Naomi Watts 4 year old son in a winter jacket in the duet. It will definitely be cozy so it really depends on whether or not that would bother your ds.

The duet would be nice for bringing into your apt because its only 25" wide but the valco will definitely have the roomier seats. I wouldn't bother with the BOB. Its wide at 30.5" and long at 52"; I wouldn't want it in my front hallway anyway.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

Quote Originally Posted by hapimommy View Post
    There are a few places that are selling mbduos for 499.
    Oh that's right. I haven't seen that price but mountain buggy is discontinuing the duo in the states (maybe canada?) so you can probably find it on clearance.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

That kid does look rather snug in the Duet seat - dd is only average sized, but we need thick snowsuits for our climate, and that's precisely when she'd need to ride rather than walk.
    I doubt I'll find the same bargain prices here in Canada, but definitely worth looking! Any idea how I can find out if they are discontinuing it here?
    The BOB is out if it doesn't have the adjustable handlebar (I'm short, dh is v tall).
    My friend has a Valco double, but I don't know how old it is. Will it push very differently if it is the older model? (I'm guessing it's at least 3 years old)
    MB doesn't seem to be too popular around here, so it's hard to find one to try out.

I love valco and am really happy with my tri mode. I only have a single but see lots of tri mode doubles around. Does your friend keep her tires properly inflated? If they are even a little low it makes a huge difference in the push. BOB doubles are also really nice, roomy seat with great push. I'd pick between those two.
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

Quote Originally Posted by trickyhop View Post
    hi,
    I was faced with a similair situation and there are some stroller Gurus who will chime in also Im sure. Are these the only strollers available to you first of all. I chose a BOB over the MB Duo seemed like it had the biggest seat. I would definitely choose a DUO over DUET. The seats are bigger and for a four year old in a snowsuit it might be the better choice. I looked at the Valco but it cost more, couldnt find a deal on CL, and resale in my area made the BOB(new) paid 450, a better choice. The canopy height was tallest in the Valco. I would definitely choose between the MB duo, Valco Trimode or A BOB if it was up to me.

The BOB has a 70% recline so it is not okay for newborns. Its suggested to wait till 2 months and probably use a snuzzler still. The MB duo/duet and the Valco are suitable for newborns. Duo/Duet has a bassinet option also. Trimode has a bassinet -ish insert available husah? I think its called. Is the trimode an EX? They are the latest available and have better sun coverage.

Im in luv with my BOB. It has the best push. It is not fun to lift but folds up small enough for my volvo sedan trunk. Trimode wont fit, I tried even with wheels off. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    We ended up with a Duallie. My almost year old didn't fit in a duet (comfortably I should say - he was not happy to sit in a seat where he felt squished) and he's 25-50% for weight and 90% for height. The indie twin was my first choice but he didn't fit well in that either, and I wanted something that would last a while. I abhor the MB fold. And yes, I'm a BOB fan. It actually fit in my friend's Jetta trunk when we popped the back wheels off. Not great for malls, but awesome for outdoors.
    I would definitely get a Duo over a Duet though.
    I didn't realize they were discontinuing the Duo.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Just went through this exact same debate; ended up deciding on a Valco Trimode. My kids are tall (DD1 is 95% for height at 2.25, DD2 is only 12 weeks but is also 90% for height) and I wanted the tall seatback. The BOB Duallie was just way too big for us, both folded and unfolded, the seatbacks were too short (DD1 already couldn't really fit under the sunshade), and the seat recline wasn't enough for a newborn.

I didn't consider the MB Duet, mostly because I just couldn't justify the price of a new one and there weren't any on our CL, but I would probably have still gone for the Trimode because of the seat height.

Our Trimode is a 2008 and my only disappointment with the older model is that the newer Trimodes have a pretty awesome giant canopy, whereas the older one that we have just has a so-so canopy. Overall, though, it wasn't worth the price of a new one for me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast