Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default At what age did you take your child to the dentist for the first time?

At what age did you first take your child to the dentist. Our family dentist will not see children under the age of 4. Is this typical? He's a great dentist and he takes our insurance. Not many around here will take it. I am hesitant to switch but I really feel that my children need to be seen. It's not that they are having any problems, but I would like at least my oldest to have his teeth checked. He was seen once when he was 1 1/2 because he chipped a tooth. I was told that unless he is having a problem that I would have to wait until he turns at least 3 1/2 until he will concent to see my son. My son is really well behaved and absolutely fascinated by doctors so I am not concerned with him possibly misbehaving or biting the doctor. I'm tired of waiting. Maybe I am just picky about my kid's teeth, I don't know. I really think that he should have been seen much earlier. What you you guys think? Should I start searching for another dentist?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

my kids started at age 3 but my younger son was WELCOME and encouraged to come early when DS1 was being seen so DS2 could get used to it. We go to a very small family practice.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For my oldest, they recommended starting at 3 but I took her in at 2.5 because I have a history of not great teeth. My ped office now recommends starting at age 2.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was told it should be at 2, so that's when DD first went in.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

Our ped. dentist starts seeing kids at age 3. I called when DS2 was 2.5 and they made the appt. for after his third birthday.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

KDsMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started at age 3. DS goes to a pediatric dentist and I have seen 18 month olds there.
    Christie
    DS '07
    DSS '09
    DSS '12
    DD1 9/21/14

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

aWe started at 2 with DS1. His first appointment was just to meet the doc and get familiar with the tools and staff, they took a quick look in his mouth, counted the teeth, but that was it. Then we took him back 6 months later for a cleaning.
    Last edited by okinawama; 09-06-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our dentist says there is no need until they are 3 unless there is a problem. We tried at 3, and DS2 was uncooperative. He didn't get seen successfully until he was 4. DS1 was 3.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

How wild that this varies so much!

Our pediatrician recommended 1 year for the first dental visit. Our neighbors who were in town for dental school recommended 1 year for the first visit. We took DD at 1 year and had a great experience. DD and both boys have all since been (covered by dental insurance) every six months starting at 12 months old.

My DC know what to expect, are not at all afraid of the dentist, the hygienists, the equipment, procedure, hands in their mouths, etc. So....since I was pg with #2 at the time of DD's first visit and our pedi dentist was too, we became friends and had our next 2 DC at the same time. They're actually both in the same classes at preschool. And we went snow skiing together for a mom vacation.

I vote yes- take your DC to the dentist at 1 year old! You might miss out on a good friendship if you don't! In all seriousness, though, she tells me that there is a pretty big difference in the way kids approach the dental visit at 3-4 years old, depending on if they've been coming all their lives or if it is their first visit.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

12m with ds1 and every 6 months since. 2y with ds2 and every 6m since.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast