Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default sleeping in a swing...am i going to regret this?

DD + sleep...not so much

but her best attempts at sleep so far are now in the swing

DS napped in his swing, but we never did it for night sleep

but we are in a desperate place these days and have been doing day and night sleep in the swing for her

and it's produced the best results by far. much better than when i try just the RnP

but am i going to be very sorry we started this? if you had a swing sleeper, was transition to motionless sleep a nightmare? when and how did you do it?

she will be eight weeks tomorrow

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nope, I don't believe in bad habits during the first 6 months. It's all about survival then. I'm pretty relaxed about most things in the first year even. But, a 2mo? No problems. You all deserve sleep!

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ds2 slept in his swing until 3 months. He had no problem transitioning. Do it!

At 4 months old, we discovered that DD slept really well in her swing. We asked the pediatrician if there was any problem with it. He said just to make sure her neck is well supported (to prevent torticollis). Other than that, its nothing to worry about.

As PP said, you need your sleep! Do whatever works. You won't regret it.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do it! DD slept frequently in her swing until about 5 months. To be honest, the transition was a little tough for us. But, it only took about a week. And 5 months of good sleep for one week? Yep, worth it! Enjoy the additional sleep, you deserve it!

ETA: Oh, I just saw you asked about how we transitioned too...we slowly started turning down the speed on the swing, until she was sleeping in it w/o motion for a few days. Then, we just switched her to the crib, braced for a few rough nights, and she adjusted just fine.
    Last edited by Liziz; 09-10-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: more info
    Lizi

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD was in a swing until 6 months every night. Saved my sanity.

My son slept well in a crib. Some kids have a harder time sleeping. If the noise and movement and incline position help an exhausted baby fall asleep and stay asleep - that is a good thing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We struggled with DS1 and sleeping in the swing. He got addicted to the swinging motion. So, what we ended up doing was letting him swing to sleep (usually within 5-10 min) and then we would turn it off. He'd still be snoozing, but not actively swinging. I think back to it now and he probably had reflux and it was probably one reason why he preferred the swing to lay down. He transitioned to a crib at 5 mo, b/c we went to CA and couldn't take the swing with us, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

melwe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DS was definitely a better sleeper in the swing. We used it up to 4-5 months, when he started rolling over and trying to get out. At first, we would let it swing continuously. Then we eventually would turn the swing off after he fell asleep, and then he would stay asleep.

The transition to crib was a little rough. We had one really bad first night, but each night after that was significantly better. I definitely did not regret letting him sleep in the swing because of it.
    Melanie

DD 12/06
    DS 9/2011

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

ok, thanks guys! i feel better
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sisi and Greenbean slept so well in their swings that I just put them down for their naps and bedtime in their swings without even trying their cribs. I am not sure when we stopped but I remember still doing this when they were 7 months old.

Just do what you gotta do for a happy mom and happy baby.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast