mctlaw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Sleep help - 14 week DS won't sleep in the PM anymore without being held!

Sleep gurus, please help. I know my problem is not as bad as others, but still, older DS needs me and I can't cater to DS2 all afternoon and night!

DS 2 is a very happy baby, even when he won't sleep....I am so thankful for that. He goes down super easy for his AM nap and sleeps for an hour or two. Sometimes he goes down relatively easy for a second nap depending on how long the first one was. But once 1 PM hits, all bets are off. He has never been great at these afternoon naps, it has always been hard to get him to go down, but the naps have become nonexistent over the last week and a half. I put him down sleepy, he won't go to sleep. I put him down apparently deepy asleep - he wakes up crying 2-15 minutes into it and won't go back to sleep. I put him down right after getting him into a light sleep, often even he opens his eyes when I put him down and sees he is being put down - same result. This continues well past 10 PM. Holding him is the only things that works and I can't do this all the time.

I have an older DS that needs me, so as a result, what's been happening is that I have to give up on napping to do things for DS1 like homework, dinner, bath, you know, normal life stuff! Then after I get DS1 to bed, I try getting DS2 asleep again, and usually fail again. The result is that I've been having to hold DS2 for hours in bed as I did when he was a newborn, and then I am able to transfer him to the Rock N Play sometime after midnight, usually after I doze off and wake up becuase my neck hurts. He wakes up 1 or 2x during the night and I can usually put him back to bed then without a fuss after a feeding.

He does not like being worn for extended periods - I can put him to sleep in the carrier but he does not like to stay there - too confining for him I think. A sleeping transfer from carrier has the same result as above.

Amazingly, as mentioned above, DS2 stays in good spirits mostly, though he has had a few overtired crying jags, but I'm exhausted and can't get anything done! Please mamas, give me your BTDT and any advice!!
    MC

Fair Queen-Ruler of the House of Boys
    Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12
    and a 12 year old (boy) min pin

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you tried laying him down earlier? He might be slightly over tired and having a hard time falling asleep on his own or staying asleep.

I have tried earlier, I have tried later, etc. I feel like he is overtired at those times and jars himself awake, and then can't go back to sleep on his own or sometimes at all.
    MC

Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Does he like a swing? DD is a terrible napper, and that was our sanity saver for naps (and until last month, many nights, too). I'd rock her or nurse her to sleep, then put her in the swing. She'd wake up, but usually still be drowsy. A few minutes of the rocking swing would get her back to sleep. It wouldn't always work, but it did (and still does, we still use the swing for naps often) work better than anything else we figured out! Good luck...sleep issues are awful!
    Lizi

Thanks! This baby will not swing. Followed by my post, we had a great several days and a rough one over the weekend, and I think I've determined he does this when he gets overtired. If he does, it is SO hard to get him down, yet I can't aways get him down at that perfect window.....argh. I guess I'll just count my many blessings until we pass this little phase and I can get my hands free again, and some sleep!
    MC

Mom to DS 3/06
    DS 2 6/12