Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Hawaii: To AC or not to AC

I booked a fabulous rate of $119 at the Outrigger Napili Shores. Last night I discovered this condo has no AC. Sooo, being from Texas where AC is a must this worries me (I've never been to HI). Do I really need AC?

I can stay at the Hyatt, where the rest of the wedding party will be, but it will cost me about $700 more (but I get a partial ocean view where the current condo is a garden view).
    Last edited by Mermanaid; 09-11-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

it got great reviews on several sites, i would save the money and use it to play Kapalua, both courses. If the trade winds are blowing and you don't mind low 70's at night, it should be good. If you get a rare day without the winds ...... watch out
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    it got great reviews on several sites, i would save the money and use it to play Kapalua, both courses. If the trade winds are blowing and you don't mind low 70's at night, it should be good. If you get a rare day without the winds ...... watch out
    My worry exactly. Highs are around 89 and lows are around 70. I'm just not sure how humid it is.

Wish I played golf! I'd spend the money saved eating at fabulous places.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

csnoop is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I think you might be fine. I am assuming that they would have fans there. We stayed near Napili a couple years ago (felt like a lifetime). The condo didn't have A/C in the bedroom either. We just kept the windows and fans going during the day. At night, we kept some of the windows open and the fan on low. It's basically white noise. We even woke up in the middle of the night to turn off the fan cuz it got kind of chilly. They don't furnish you w/big heavy blanket there... =)

CC

I went ahead and moved us over to the Hyatt. The extra $$$ is worth it to not have DH miserable the whole time we are there. And if he is miserable he would make me even more miserable!

In fact, he's pretty laid back about where we stay, but on this one he insisted we have AC.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The place we stay at in Kauai has no AC and we love it. Sleep with the windows open - we don't even need the fan.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by Mermanaid View Post
    I went ahead and moved us over to the Hyatt. The extra $$$ is worth it to not have DH miserable the whole time we are there. And if he is miserable he would make me even more miserable!

In fact, he's pretty laid back about where we stay, but on this one he insisted we have AC.
    Are you staying at the Grand Hyatt? I love that hotel! Enjoy!

Yep, the Grand Hyatt. I hear it's beautiful and can't wait until we go!
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007