Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Can anyone explain the excitement about American Girl Dolls?

I really don't get it. The dolls and their accessories seem horribly overpriced for what appears to be an ordinary doll. Is it the stories that come with the dolls? The period of history they are suppose to represent? Even with the history lesson tied in, they seem overpriced.

Am I missing something?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm a little curious too, although I've read a few of the books, and really like them. SIL's DD's have grown up with them, and recently MIL asked me if I was interested in getting them for my DDs. My response was "NO,PLEASE!!!" For one thing, my DDs are not interested in dolls enough to make it worthwhile. But the larger issue is that I can't feeling that owning one makes a statement that I'd rather not make. This is my own personal bias. I have friends whose DDs have them, love them, and they love going to AG store in Boston to have lunch and go shopping, or even browsing. And to the extent that they really enjoy these things with their daughters, I'm happy for them. It's just not for me.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't get it either.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't get it either. But my DDs are OBSESSED. They pour over the catalog and circle almost every item in there. They play with them, send them to "school" and "camp," change their clothes, make up stories. They do not follow or play the historical stories at all, although we've seen all the movies. (The historical ones are currently on sale for $5 each!) I think it's all the accessories, etc., that make it so appealing. Who wouldn't love a wheelchair or violin or Beetle car for their doll??

We went to the store over vacation for a craft event and were there for 2 hours between the craft, scavenger hunt (brilliant marketing, the girls had to go all over the store to make sure they saw every inch and every item!) and all the dolls/accessories. They spent all their own money, I refused to spend a dime. I had to drag them out of there.

It makes me crazy. But they love them. But they are already saving to buy more. I think they have ENOUGH. (Two real each and one cousin in WalMart. DD1 has decided she MUST have Felicity for her bday. Felicity is retired. She is available on EBay starting at like $200. Ummm... no. But you know DH is looking at them, arg!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has a few AG dolls (one was a gift and she saved up her allowance for the other two). They are overpriced. I wouldn't buy her one myself, but if she wants to spend her money on them or if her aunts and uncles want to go in together and get her one, I won't stop them. From a parent perspective, I like the following:

1) The stories show the girls with traits that I like. That said, you can get all the books at the library - no dolls needed!
    2) The dolls really are good quality. If they are going to get played with at all, these hold up much better than a knock off doll.
    3) The accessories are really kind of too cute for words. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but there ya go! The range of things available is amazing. For example, DD loves the kit that comes with casts and crutches, she has the wheel chair, etc. They have a nice variety of things available, from just cute outfits (which I don't really care about) to sports stuff, musical instruments, school things, etc. DD can look at the catalog and see things that she feels represent her (clever marketing, for sure!). They even have food allergy stuff now.
    4) They are modest. I'm not a huge prude, but I do like that everything is age appropriate and not all Barbie-fied

Again, I do think they are overpriced and have not and will not buy a doll, but I don't mind paying $32 for an accessory kit for birthday or Christmas.

If your kid isn't into dolls, I would absolutely NOT get one.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My DD loves AG. She has one doll right now, and has asked for Kit or Josephina for Christmas or her bday.

DS1 read some of the books when he was younger, and now we're rereading them as part of the literature circle for our HSing class, where they are also loosely tied in with the study of various presidents that correspond to that time period. Reading the books helps them connect with the character and life during that time period. My kids have definitely learned a bit of history from reading, and then we follow little rabbit trails related to the time period. FWIW, we have 3 boys in the co-op class and they all seem to enjoy the AG books, although I am guessing that's not exactly typical. They view them like any other historical fiction type book and don't seem to mind girl protagonists.

We have purchased a few AG accessories, but also buy or have received as gifts less expensive accessories like the Target Our Generation line. The accessories are a bit more reasonable and IME most are good quality. DH and DS1 built DD a set of bunkbeds last year for her AG doll and her Gotz 18 inch doll (also very nice quality). TRU now carries accessories that work for 18 inch dolls.

MIL found a vintage AG wheelchair (EUC still in the box) at a yardsale. My dear friends have a MIL who is a yard sale queen and they find AG dolls that need work, and then they repair/restore them. THey have pretty much every single AG doll, but all but 2 or so were purchased 2nd hand. I see decent deals pop up on CL and the like. Our Bitty Baby was also scored by MIL (a doll collector) at a yard sale, in EUC.

The hair on the better dolls (I include our Gotz doll in this category) holds up better than hair on some less expensive dolls.

One thing I like about AG is that even older girls will play with them. At DD's dance class, there are 8 and 9 yos and up who still like AG. I would be thrilled if my DD spends time playing with AG type dolls at that age vs. being into more tween topics. eta: that's one of the biggest appeals to me, and makes the price more tolerable, IMO.

We've only been to the store 1x as there aren't any within about 1.5-2 hours of us. In lieu of a party last year for DD, we took a business trip to Boston with DH, and then took DD to the AG store to pick out her first 18 inch AG (she had a Bitty Baby already from MIL). She had some spending money along that is her own money, and she bought the crutches/cast kit using her own $. The doll was not inexpensive, but she takes very good care of her doll and plays with her pretty much every. single. day. She's just now getting more into the historical dolls since we are reading the stories. DD and I had tea the other day and she was re-enacting Felicity's "I shall take no tea" at Mrs. Merriman's school. Very cute, and studying Felicity brought up lots of great historical fodder. Ditto studying Kaya. DD is interested in learning more about the Nez Perce, etc. As we go through all of the books with co-op, I know she'll enjoy following those topics further on our own. We've had good discussions about things like how it can be difficult to navigate differences when a friend's family believes one thing, and your family believes another, or how doing the right thing isn't always easy, and it may take courage, etc. due to some of the book topics.

eta: if they are cared for reasonably well, they still retain some value if DC decides to sell the doll down the road. That doesn't happen with less expensive dolls.
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My DD was never into dolls then she got into AG through a friend when she was 7. She bought her own one with savings in the NY store (Lanie), and since I have bought her Felicity. She's not especially into the history but loves the dolls, clothes and accessories. She plays with them a lot on her own- I think she likes them because she thinks they are like her age-wise so she sort of relates to them. She never liked baby dolls and Barbie is so-so but obviously an adult. I think in the stories the girls are usually about 9 or 4th grade age. She loves the books and all the movies. I dunno part of me hates that its a huge marketing ploy/overpriced rip off, my DH wants to kill himself after 10 mins in the store. But the other half loves seeing a 4th grader play with dolls and I wonder how long it will last.
    Lucy DD3/03

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I must be on the younger end of this board...because I grew up with Americna Girl Dolls and they were wonderful. I collected all of my doll's clothing/accessories over a period of years, read the books, played with them, etc... I now have all of those items saved for when DD is old enough to appreciate them.

I was involved in AG stuff before they were bought by Mattel and instead were owned by Pleasant T. Rowland company in Wisconsin.

The items are expensive, and I can't speak to Mattel's quality vs what it was like back then though I suspect the older items are nicer. But it's a nice collection and I like the character traits shown in the stories
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I really don't get it. The dolls and their accessories seem horribly overpriced for what appears to be an ordinary doll. Is it the stories that come with the dolls? The period of history they are suppose to represent? Even with the history lesson tied in, they seem overpriced.

Am I missing something?
    What you describe above is what they started out as. They were great history lessons, and very well made dolls at the time. The company is now owned by Mattel and from what I understand they are still well made, but it just isn't the same. DD1 has a single Bitty Twin, and eventually I will get DD2 a Bitty Baby because she loves baby dolls. DD1 would eventually like a real American Girl, but I have told her she can buy one with her Christmas money this year. I'll let her make the call as to when she wants to get one. My sister has Kirsten, Addy, and one of the first look like you girls. I bought DD1 the set of Molly books (Molly was from WWII) last Christmas and we read the first one, but they were still kind of over her head.

IMHO I wish they would have stayed with the classic dolls. I Felicity, Samantha, and Kirsten have all been retired, which makes me sad. I never had a doll as they first became popular in the late 80s and I was at the end of my doll phase then; I was between the age of 10-12 when they first became popular, but I read the books when my sister got them (she is 25 now, and I am 35) and loved to read the catalog, which included a letter and mini lesson or moral from the doll's creater. I was in high school when she got her dolls. My sister's dolls were $80 or so at the time as well so the price has remained pretty much the same over the years, but the books that came with the dolls when my sister got hers in the mid to late 90s were hardback as well, now they are paperback. Little things like that do make them seem overpriced.I am sure that one of the lesser popular dolls like Kaya, or Josephina, or maybe even Molly will be the next to go. I am not a fan of the "Doll of the Year" dolls at all.

When your daughter gets older the American Girl magazine is a nice magazine for the 8-12 yr. old population who isn't quite ready for Seventeen magazine.

eta: FWIW, Mattel bought The Pleasant Rowland Company in 1998, so at least the first two dolls my sister has, if not all 3 were bought before the company changed hands. She keeps them on a shelf at my parents house and they still look amazing.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-13-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My youngest who recently turned 8 loves her AG doll. The guidelines say 8 as the minimum age and I will have to say I agree. She got hers when she turned 7 and played with it a little, but since this summer she has been having a blast with the doll.

You can buy less expensive clothes and accessories, but I will say the AG stuff is really well made (expensive!), but they do try to give you good value for the money. I think this is the type of toy you plan on keeping when they outgrow and saving it for their children.

My older daughter has one, but she's never really been into dolls and my younger plays with both.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast