lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default C25k Help - Updated Post #6

Just finished Day 1 of Week 2. Oh my, I'm hurting! Feet, shins, knees, hips, all extremely sore and painful. I don't generally struggle so much during the actual run/walk, but will hurt for days after. I even took an extra day off before starting week 2, but now feel worse. I know I'm a total exercise wimp, but i don't think most people have such a problem at this point in the program? How do I make this more tolerable, or was I deluding myself that anyone can do this program?

My fitness level has never been great, but I do try to always keep some form of exercise in my life. So I love Yoga, enjoy Zumba, and tolerate the elliptical or treadmill. My goal is 5 days a week, am pleased if I get in 3, but often only make it 1 day. So pretty wimpy, but not a total couch potato. Like the flexibility of C25k, and the weather is nice for it, but maybe I should go back to others?
    Last edited by lovin2shop; 10-04-2012 at 03:33 PM.

I always felt like I was going to die after the first day of each week, then day 2 was slightly better, and day 3 was not so bad. I always dreaded day 1 though. Sometimes I even did day 3 more than once just to put off starting the new week. I was 34 when I started it, and it was the second time I ever attempted running in my entire life. The first time was in high school with the track team and I couldn't move for a week. I worked out with no problems, but running was a whole new animal. The good news is that I was in a size 10 and 133.5 lbs in September of 2010. By December I was too small for the size 6 jeans DH bought me for Christmas. I got down to 113.5 for about 10 minutes, lol, but I have stayed between 116 and 118 for the past year and a half. A soon as I top 118.5 I REALLY watch what I eat and start running a bit more. I can run 2 miles around the neighborhood with no problems, but my hips are
    Bothering me a bit. Anyhow, good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I highly recommend you go to a running store and have them check your gait. Many running injuries are caused by wearing the wrong shoes.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Totally agree to have a running store check your gait and shoes. Shoes make a huge difference in post-run pain.

For me, while I'm not in horrible shape, I always had trouble getting far in c25k. I always quit, tried again, failed again, etc. Then I started following Jeff Galloway and using his run-walk method. It was much easier for me to advance in the program and while I am still not running a whole 5k, I am making good time and not feeling like garbage the next day (or days). It is worth checking out, might be a little easier for your body to handle.

Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by queenmama View Post
    I highly recommend you go to a running store and have them check your gait. Many running injuries are caused by wearing the wrong shoes.
    Make sure to go to a running specific store. Stores like sports authority don't know what they are talking about. Also do a search for runners world. They have specific sections for women runners.

Also Jeff Galloway has a great free app by lolo which I highly recommend. Don't give up!!
    early arrival on 2/3/13

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Okay, just a quick update, I finished week 4 day 1! Yay, I have a lot to go, but I really wasn't sure if I would make this far. The first two weeks were difficult, and I had to take a couple of days off to heal, but it is getting so much easier! I did get new shoes at a running store where they watch your gait, and this has helped immensely. I had thought about getting new shoes from the beginning, but was afraid that I wouldn't stick with it and I already have plenty of tennis shoes for every other activity. So glad I got the new ones! Also, I read a tip on the Runners World site, and it was to SLOW down, and take small strides. They said to imagine a toddler who just leans forward a bit and takes small steps when they run. I'm really good with toddler analogies! I think this has been the key to a better recovery post run for me.

I wanted to update in case my post discouraged anyone from trying. Thanks so much for the support and tips!

So glad you decided to stick with it!!!!!