Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Facing forward in the Ergo....

When we were at BBB checking out all the carriers there was another mom who said that you can actually face your babe forward in the Ergo at a certain point - she said just put a rolled towel under their fanny.

Is that true? Has anyone had any experience with doing that?

I know you're not supposed to technically, and we may get a hand-me-down Bjorn from friends but I am curious anyway

TIA!!
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Bueller?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't tried it (my riders are too old and too young) but can't see how it would work well because of the width of the Ergo seat. I think it would push their spread their thighs too far apart to be comfortable.

While the forward facing position is great in theory it tends to be killer on your back in almost any position once they pass a certain weight. It also isn't great for baby as the forward facing carriers like Bjorn tend to put a lot of weight on baby's crotch.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I find Frogmama.com to be a great resource on babywearing and she actually posted a few days ago about facing out and her thoughts on it. She included some articles as well. You can see it here:
    http://www.frogmama.com/my-thoughts-...g-out-ffo.html
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    I find Frogmama.com to be a great resource on babywearing and she actually posted a few days ago about facing out and her thoughts on it. She included some articles as well. You can see it here:
    http://www.frogmama.com/my-thoughts-...g-out-ffo.html
    Thanks for that! So interesting and a lot of the reasons I got the Ergo to begin with - just thought Miss Mopey might enjoy facing out but I see the difference.

Does anyone know how to get your baby into the Ergo in a back carry position if you are alone??

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mopey View Post
    Thanks for that! So interesting and a lot of the reasons I got the Ergo to begin with - just thought Miss Mopey might enjoy facing out but I see the difference.

Does anyone know how to get your baby into the Ergo in a back carry position if you are alone??
    Finesse and lots of practice. I didn't start the back carry alone until DS could support himself pretty well and I would do it while sitting in a chair or on the couch with him standing(propped) behind me. I'm sure once you get more practiced you can do it yourself without sitting maybe, but I was never that comfortable. I did it with DS at 19 months at the airport standing up and it was a disaster. Luckily I was chatting with my former co-worker at the time who has quick reflexes and caught DS before he landed head first on the ground. I think there are probably some YouTube videos with good hints, tips, and tricks for doing a back carry by yourself. When I was alone and knew I'd be doing a back carry I'd grab the Beco instead of the Ergo since it has the inner panel which made switching to a back carry much easier.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes. Lots of different methods, but try YouTube for videos; this is one from a mama I know through the local babywearing group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5Pnu517Uo

If it doesn't make sense to you, get out to a babywearing group meeting for help.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the rec for YouTube videos. I actually find it easier to get DD2 in the back carry than a front carry in my ergo (hard for me to snap in the back in front carry). Plus, it's loads more comfortable. I just put her on my hip, lean forward, and scoot her on my back then buckle up. You need a spotter the first few times, until you get the hang of it.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp View Post
    I just put her on my hip, lean forward, and scoot her on my back then buckle up. You need a spotter the first few times, until you get the hang of it.

Ooooo I can totally imagine that! I will definitely look around but I think the Miss is still a bit too young. She is tall for her age but since she is just six months tomorrow we are still even working on sitting up.

Great to keep in mind! Thanks so much everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast