Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default where to shop for a new suit (B&M store)? - updated #14

so, i need a new suit ASAP..have an job interview coming up and my only suit was pre-kids and waaay too tight. Also it's from like 2003 or something. So, i need to go suit shopping this weekend.

anyway, any suggestions on where to go? Ann Taylor? J Crew? Any good sales going on?

and sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm assuming most places sell tops and bottoms, separately, right? (this is how long it has been since i bought a suit!) I need to potentially be able to buy a size 10 or 12 for the top and size 6 for the bottom (yes, i am THAT apple-shaped and boobs still have not totally shrunk from nursing). and on that note, if anybody has fashion advice on what would work to conceal a big tummy (would skirt be better than pants suit?) that is welcome too!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 09-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love Ann Taylor; I've bought my last 2 suits from them!

The biggest advantage is that they sell suiting separates, so you can fit your body, rather than having to buy what fits your largest part & having it tailored.

My suits are their "tropical weight wool" blend - very polished, and fairly easy to maintain.

As a bonus, if you get, say a pantsuit, you can re-purpose the trousers with a nice sweater or blouse & cardi or any number of other things for date-night - or as a base for your new work wardrobe!

My only caveat is that they can be spendy, but I really feel like it's worth the money.

For the tummy issue, I think the advice is to try pants with a higher rise or a higher-waisted pencil skirt with a structured jacket & shell. Oh and shaping undergarments.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

iaam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ann Taylor is a good option. I have also had luck with Banana Republic - their styles can be a bit more 'modern' and they separates too.

Have you considered wearing Spanx or similar underwear to deal with the tummy issue? It's been working quite well for me (but my tummy isn't very big and is mostly the C-section 'pooch' from my first child).

I would look at

Ann Taylor
    JCrew
    Banana Republic
    Nordstrom

Catherine

I get about 80% of my suits from Ann Taylor. My favorites are their classic black triacetate suits - they don't wrinkle and are amazing! But they're very pricey - so if it would just be an interview suit (in other words, if you wouldn't ultimately be wearing a suit at the job you're going to get), I wouldn't necessarily spend the extra money.

I am always getting Ann Taylor coupon codes via email - although, of course, at this exact moment I don't have one.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone! and i do have a Spanx-sort of thing i bought at target...i will have to dig it out...

and about the suits, i definitely will not be wearing a suit on the job..after interview it's kind of thing that would only get used once a year or so, for big presentations and such.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ann Taylor is the easiest place to buy a nice looking suit. Sign up for their emails because they always have a ton of flash sales. Nordstrom/Bloomies etc. are also great places to buy great suits but you will probably spend more and it is harder. At AT you could be in and out in 40 minutes or less.

iaam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another option I thought of that sells good separates is White House Black Market. I love their clothes!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I posted a discount code in the bargains forum earlier this week for 20% off at Ann Taylor but it expires TODAY 9/20. If you can get to the store today, or if you want to takethe chance on ordering a suit online you can use the code today. Its 20% off full price in store or $100 purchase online. Code is 10000007638 (that is 6 zeros after the 1).

Good luck with the interview from a fellow engineer!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I would look at

Ann Taylor
    JCrew
    Banana Republic
    Nordstrom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast