Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like Ann Taylor. I also wanted to mention The Limited. They aren't as nice but are less expensive. They also tend to be a bit trendier, which I guess can be good or bad. As a late 30-something year old, there are some styles I can't wear, but others I feel fine in.

Anyway, just another option to try!

Good luck with the interview!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love J Crew suits, but they rarely go on sale in store. They're great quality, IMO, with modern yet classic cuts.

I like some BR suits (some are too trendy for me). DH loves his BR suits and they're great quality too....and combined with their frequent 30% off coupons, the price would be right.

AT is hit or miss for me...I find some of their suit styles too fuddy-duddy and prefer classic details (i.e. no pickstitching or piping). But they always have tons of options in-store.

ITA with PP who said to look for pencil skirts with high-cut waists or pants with a high rise. I don't know how easy it will be to find this in-store because most things are low-rise. All my suit pants are low-rise and yes, it's awful for the tummy but since I wanted matched sets, I just bought them anyway. I keep my jackets buttoned, so that helps with the low-rise muffin top issue

Another option is to get a great sheath dress and a jacket to go over it. Per GP's past threads, shift or sheath dresses that are structured do a fabulous job with concealing a tummy! After my recent sheath dress purchase, I feel much more comfortable in it with a jacket layered on top because there's no pants waistband cutting into my gut. And, I tend to bloat with my cycles, and dresses/skirts are much more forgiving to that. And a sheath dress/jacket can be coordinating rather than matched in fabric/color.

I'd say AT and BR are your best bets for getting in/out quickly with a nice looking suit. JCrew stores sometimes have lots of suiting options and sometimes don't. But if you're going to the mall, you could hit all 3. I've found to SAs at JCrew to be a bit better in terms of helping you find something that works, and being honest with how good it actually looks on you, esp if you try to snag one of the gay men

Good luck, and happy shopping
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Ann Taylor! I just went through interviews a few months back (after 13 years of last buying a suit) and found Ann Taylor's tropical weight wool suits to fit the best and for the best price. They have a lot of sales and I got two black pantsuits. Suit pieces are sold separately, which was great for me since I'm on 8 bottom and 10 top. I like J. Crew too but I don't see as much of a suit selection to try on in their stores. Good luck on the interview!
    Mommy to DS 2007

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone! thanks to my DH who watched the kids yesterday afternoon, i found a suit at Banana this weekend. i opened a BR card to get the 10% discount and they said i could stack it on the 15% off discount they were having this weekend so i got 25% off

i really liked twowhat's idea of finding a sheath dress and just having a jacket over it...though at BR couldnt' find a sheath dress that didn't have a funny neckline that looked weird over a jacket. I ended up getting a black one- button jacket and matching pencil skirt. Tried the coordinating pants but they were pretty lowrise (the martin fit, or whatever its called) and so major muffin top (eek) and major digging into my tummy when i sat down..no good. the skirt was better bc it was high waisted and i could move it up or down depending on how bloated and what TOTM it was (LOL).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2