Default WW? Fitbit? Help!

I need to start a fitness and diet plan pronto. My DD is 8 months old, and it's time to start working on that remaining baby weight. I am hoping to get to a strollerfitness class at least once a week, and jog/walk the rest of the time.

I can't decide what's the best investment or long term plan. I like the idea of having the fitbit to track all my activity, eating, etc. But, I hear some mixed reviews on it.

I also like the idea of WW, since it's so successful for so many people. I just want something I can sustain for a while, since I have some pounds to lose, and that isn't crazy hard, because I have a 4 year old and a baby to run after. Help, mamas!

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've got a fitbit. I like it. So far today I've taken 8559 steps for 3.5 miles and walked up 20 flights of stairs. It syncs easily. I don't use it to record food but it is simple to do. I record my food in LoseIt and the fitbit makes adjustments to my allowed calories inside the app.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I love MyFitnessPal.com. Worked so well for me. If I need it again, I will not hesitate to go back. For now, dairy-free, egg-free, grain-free diet for DS has brought me back to pre-pregnancy weight.

nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophie80 View Post
    I need to start a fitness and diet plan pronto. My DD is 8 months old, and it's time to start working on that remaining baby weight. I am hoping to get to a strollerfitness class at least once a week, and jog/walk the rest of the time.

I can't decide what's the best investment or long term plan. I like the idea of having the fitbit to track all my activity, eating, etc. But, I hear some mixed reviews on it.

I also like the idea of WW, since it's so successful for so many people. I just want something I can sustain for a while, since I have some pounds to lose, and that isn't crazy hard, because I have a 4 year old and a baby to run after. Help, mamas!
    I'm doing WW online, and they have a new gadget (Activelink) that is very much like the fitbit, but syncs with the WW platform. It is cheaper than fitbit ($50 or so with shipping), but you have to pay $5/mo for the monitoring. So, more expensive in the long run, I guess.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

And once you quit WW (if yo do!) then you cant use activelink!

Thanks, ladies - this is helpful! It's so hard to figure out a program to stick with, both for diet and exercise. I want to do it all - WW, fitbit, MFP, stroller strides, and run. Ha! But I think I need to focus and limit my challenges.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH and I gOt fitBits and the wifi scale a few day a ago. Love them!

I would suggest doing MyFitnessPal first for a while since its free. You can see if you like it. That's where we track our food. The FitBit syncs activity and weight with MFP, so it makes it easy....and there's no monthly charges. And the scale syncs automatically with our account when you weigh. and the fitbit syncs via wifi when you are near your computer. There's a place to monitor your food intake on FitBit as well, but we had already been on MFP, so we just continue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    DH and I gOt fitBits and the wifi scale a few day a ago. Love them!

I would suggest doing MyFitnessPal first for a while since its free. You can see if you like it. That's where we track our food. The FitBit syncs activity and weight with MFP, so it makes it easy....and there's no monthly charges. And the scale syncs automatically with our account when you weigh. and the fitbit syncs via wifi when you are near your computer. There's a place to monitor your food intake on FitBit as well, but we had already been on MFP, so we just continue with that.
    Which fitbits did you guys get? I see that they're phasing out the ultra, and the new zips don't track sleep. I'm not sure if I want to shell out the extra money for the one?

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophie80 View Post
    Which fitbits did you guys get? I see that they're phasing out the ultra, and the new zips don't track sleep. I'm not sure if I want to shell out the extra money for the one?
    We have the Ultras because a couple of days after DH bought them - they came out with the new ones! They were really his thing that he wanted to get, and I went along with it - so I don't really know the differences between them. But I wear mine daily (you totally forget that it's there - you wear it on your pant waist or pocket or in your bra - not intrusive like on your arm). I happen to like that it tracks my sleep - really it tracks how much movement you have during the night. But am starting to see a nightly trend in my movements. I don't sleep the best at night - wake up a lot, insomnia, etc.

My FIL just got one as well, and opted for the Ultra one as well.