Default A Good Double For the Long Haul

Hello!

I have a 21 month old and a new LO due in January (they will be 25 months apart). We currently own three strollers:

First Years Indigo (loved it! so great for the first several months)
    a no-name jogging stroller (hardly used since discovering I prefer to run EARLY in the morning to pushing a stroller on a run)
    Maclaren Starck (which we love and currently use daily)

I'm looking for a double that will accomodate my newborn and my toddler. I've had lots of friends suggest Phil & Teds and Baby Jogger's, but one thing I've learned in stroller purchasing, is that most strollers - even really great ones - tend to only serve your family for a short time. So we are not willing to spend $450+ on a new stroller. I'd like something in the $200 range.

People have suggested a sit-n-stand, but my toddler is not quite ready for that. Is there a sit-n-stand out there that has a seat and then converts to a sit-n-stand?

The other stroller I am considering is a maclaren twin triumph (or techno, if I can find one used and cheap). If you've used one, please chime in and let me know pros/cons.

Thanks so much!

Default joovy

You might want to look at the joovy caboose, it is a sit and stand stroller that you can now purchase a second full seat for the back rider. I have seen quite a few cabooses on my cl for less than 100, and the extra seat is about 70. Baby gizmo has a review of it. Hth!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The issue with many sit n stands is they only let newborns use it with the car seat adapter, which is not recommended for extended use.

We still use our double stroller a ton, in fact we often bring both the double (P&T verve) and a single (bugaboo bee +) when we're out with all 3 kids. My 2 year old is a runner but loves to ride, so we always have a stroller for him (and DS1 will walk and I'll wear the baby). I had a side by side for the first year of having 2 (valco latitude double), I only traded it in because 1) I was bored and 2) I had a very specific space in the car to fit it into once we were using 3 seats in the mazda5.

Esp since you're open to used, I'd sell your current jogger and get something like a BJCMD over the mac doubles and resell when you're done with it.

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i have used our P&T for going on 4 years now. not bad for the $250 i paid for it used i love that it reclines flat for a sleeper, that the 2nd seat is there, my olders can climb in/out of it themselves. AND, now that i only have 1 rider, that 2nd seat makes the best basked ever. for the farmers market, zoo or pool, love having the extra space. air filled tires are great (as long as i keep them inflated). its been a great fit for us, for the long haul for sure!

Are you up for something used? You could browse CL and pick-up something in the $450+ range for $200. If you live in a decent CL area you can even buy new knowing that you can sell to get most of your money back.

I found an indie twin on sale for $550 new. Sold it 18 months later for $450 when we had to move overseas. So in the end the stroller only cost me $100.
    AF wife and SAHM of three
    DS(2007.March) DD(2009.July) DS(2012.December)

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had a Joovy Caboose as DH's daycare drop off stroller. But we didn't use it until our older was about 29 mo and baby about 9 mo. We didn't need to before then but it does have an infant seat adaptor. The toddler seat in he back does have straps to keep her from stepping off. However, I would not recommend it. The push is heavy. There is a lighter version of the stroller which may be better. We never used our Joovy when we were going to be out all day.

I agree with the others. You should try to find something used. Maybe a BJCMD? I have a few friends who own it as their one and only double. Personally, I would look for something with air tires though. As he kids get older and heavier, air tires are priceless esp outside.