Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any ideas for the baby that stops liking carriers?

DS#2 loved carriers initially, particularly the pouch style (the KKAFP was a huge hit - he napped every morning on a walk with dad in that.) He liked (though not as much) a linen and silk ring sling. Tolerated the Beco gemini and ergo okay.

Now, he's too big to do the Buddha baby poses in the pouch and only likes the Beco and Ergo for about 10-15 minutes before he complains. He's big enough for them with legs out, but gets really pissy about it. He hates the stroller more, but he's awfully heavy just to carry around (and we like to walk in the neighborhood.)

Any ideas? Good poses in the pouch for a 4 1/2 month old (can almost sit up on his own)? Better carriers to try out?
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i used the Pikkolo with DS a ton..from about 4 months to maybe 8 mos (only stopped bc i was preg, had terrible morning sickness and i couldnt' stand to wear him in front!). My DS was an odd baby that did not like to be carried, so i thot for sure he'd hate the carrier..but he loved it. i always wore him with legs out. Nursed him in it too..and he'd often fall asleep in it.

i've used Pikkolo with DD too, from about 4 or 5 mos on. i love the Pikkolo!!

Is it different enough from the Beco and Ergo to be worth trying?
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS#1 2003
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you tried a hip carry?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Once he's sitting up, try a back carry.

You can do a hip carry in the Ergo & Beco Gemini, but they're not ideal - personally, I find the hip-carry instructions for the Ergo to be super-confusing, but, of course, YMMV.

If you want a hip-carry-specific carrier, I am told that nothing does hip carries as well as the Scootababy. (I've seen but not tried it. I don't like weight on one hip because it throws my center of gravity out of whack.)

More than that, it's probably a phase and he'll adjust if you're persistent.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sorry, I ment to say a hip carry with your ring sling or pouch. A hip carry with an ergo or beco is just not ideal. I love the scootababy for hip carries! The scootababy is kind of a one trick pony, but it does a super comfy hip carry.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's his age - in just a month it will be better. When they are 6 mos old their pelvis fits the beco/ergo more comfortably. But 4-5 mosis kind of the doldrums of babywearing unless you use a wrap or do hip carries which many babies dont do super well yet at that age.

So its not that he stopped liking carriers, its that he hasnt grown into them yet
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Ooh, I'm going to hang my hat on the age thing. I do have a Moby that I just don't use because it's a pain, but he has liked that in the past. I'll try that. He doesn't like hip carries without a carrier, so I doubt that will help now.

Will keep trying!
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS#1 2003
    DH

You can put your baby cRoss legged sitting up and place in front of your belly in the pouch. I did that with my first. It is heavy for you though.
    Audrey - Feb 2010
    Anderson - Dec 2011

Please, no babies in 2012!

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll put out an unpopular opinion: try a Bjorn! Neither of my DDs have been willing to tolerate carriers for more than 10-15 minutes, EXCEPT for the Bjorn, which they've both loved. (We tried the Ergo, a Mei Tei, and a Moby. All were pretty well hated by both girls.)

There's a new Bjorn out that has back support. http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJORN-Baby.../dp/B000XDXC4K One of my friends has it and loves it for her 7-month old. I haven't tried it yet, since we have an original left over from DD1, but I think I'm going to trade up here since DD2 is now over 15 lbs and the original Bjorn is starting to kill my shoulders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast