Default Roger Williams Park, RI

This past summer we took the kids to Old Sturbridge Village and took a day trip to the Roger Williams Zoo. We were incredibly impressed with the huge park!!! I just found out they do a jack o'lantern show, and we'd love to take the kids for an overnight. Does anyone have suggestions of where to stay nearby but in a nice neighborhood? A suite hotel where the kids could be in their own room with a door would be ideal. What else should we do while in Providence? I'm very unfamiliar with the area, and I don't want to book a hotel in an unsafe neighborhood. I'd appreciate your help!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hopefully some 'locals' will chime in with more info, but when I joined my family for a house-hunting trip to the Providence area several years ago, we all stayed at the Providence-Warwick Residence Inn. It was not quite as fancy as some of the newest Res Inns but it was fine, with all the usual amenities. It's about 15 minutes south of Roger Wms Park by local streets if you don't want to hop on/off I-95. It's located in a suburban office park type area, which felt safe to me.

Re: other things to do, how old are your kid(s)? (Tapatalk doesn't show sigs, in case yours includes that info.) The Providence Children's Museum is small but nice for younger kids. And how far afield do you want to venture? Just in Providence itself, or other places in RI?

We haven't planned our trip quite yet. We may just do Providence, or we may do OSV again, but I think a RI trip might be nice with Providence and other places. Our DS is 4. DD is only 6 mos. This would be a birthday trip for DS. What would you suggest?

which direction are you coming from? If you want something historical but different than OSV, you could head down to Mystic and visit Mystic Seaport (and/or the Aquarium). It's probably about 45 minutes on 95 between Mystic and the Zoo.

You definitely don't want to stay right near the zoo - that is not a good neighborhood. The airport is not far away and there should be some suite hotels around there - otherwise you should try the Warwick/Cranston area.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    which direction are you coming from? If you want something historical but different than OSV, you could head down to Mystic and visit Mystic Seaport (and/or the Aquarium). It's probably about 45 minutes on 95 between Mystic and the Zoo.

You definitely don't want to stay right near the zoo - that is not a good neighborhood. The airport is not far away and there should be some suite hotels around there - otherwise you should try the Warwick/Cranston area.
    Another vote for Mystic! My family really likes both Mystic Seaport and the Mystic Aquarium and we usually go there whenever I visit. We're also fans of OSV but it's definitely a good bit farther away. The Residence Inn I mentioned above is near the airport. My family also stayed at the Homewood Suites near the airport while waiting for their furniture to arrive, and said it was not nearly as nice as the Res Inn.

I didn't think about Mystic, but I bet DS would love it! So residence inn and side trip to Mystic?

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I didn't think about Mystic, but I bet DS would love it! So residence inn and side trip to Mystic?
    Actually, if you're going to Mystic as well as Rogers Wms Zoo/Park, I have a couple of better suggestions for you. Besides the Residence Inn near the airport, there is a nicer Residence Inn a few exits farther south (which makes it a bit closer to Mystic while still not too far from Roger Wms). It's the "Res Inn Providence Coventry" (address is W. Greenwich, RI -- RI is very confusing and Marriott seems to include "Providence" in the name of many of its RI properties!). It's located in a strip mall right off I-95 at Exit 7 so not much nearby atmosphere unless you consider Walmart atmospheric...but very convenient and newer than the airport one.

There is also a Springhill Suites at Exit 8 off I-95, again quite near the highway. It's the "Springhill Suites Providence West Warwick" (address is actually West Warwick).

My family has had visitors stay at both these a number of times, and I've been to the Res Inn when there were too many visitors for their house. Either should be fine. The Res Inn rooms have more complete kitchens, in case you have any food allergies or picky eaters, and the nearby Walmart grocery is a lot nicer than the ones in NC, but I believe that the Springhill Suites has at least some cooking facilities. Based on my family's experience, either one should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I really appreciate the help!

After your trip, let us know how it all went. I'm sure you'll enjoy Mystic!

I will if we go. It's between a party or the trip, so it's up to DS. Even if we don't use the advice now, though, we will take the trip eventually.