Default "Is One Child Enough?" Nice article on having an "only"

From the Huffington Post: Is One Child Enough?

DH and I are "one and done" by choice, but I can't tell you how many times I get asked when I'm having a second. Sometimes I waver in our decision; but after reading this article, I feel so much more confident and content in raising our son as an only child. Like the author writes, it just fits us and our lifestyle and feels right.

Does anyone else have one child by choice?

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A nice article! You should post this in the lounge!

FWIW... I have more than one child but there are many members off the BBB community that are one and done and would appreciate this...
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks!

DH is an only child, and has been adamant about wanting only one child. I used to think I wanted more, but after DD was born, I was not so sure. Not that I don't love DD , but more, as the author says, that it just felt like "us" once we were a family of 3. I remember having a moment thinking: I am so happy with DD, why should I push for anything more?

I do still feel wistful about not having more than one, and it's hard to know what to say to people when they ask when we are having another. I've become good at the evasive answer!
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, nice article. We are a "one and done" family. I've never had the desire for a second. Sometimes I do feel badly that my DD does not have a built-in playmate (something she frequently bemoans), but that was never enough reason to have another. One child works well for our family and keeps us in balance in many ways and i certainly don't think any less of people who have more than one. I just figure they have the number that works for their family.
    mommy to DD 1/07

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had an only child for 11 years (and 10 months!) While I always felt that longing for another, I knew that he absolutely WAS enough. Healthy, smart, funny, beautiful... If I only had one kid I was ecstatic that he was it. Not to mention, his tuition already stretches the limits of our budget! We had him more than half raised and truly enjoyed our lifestyle with an only, particularly as he got older.

Turns out we're going to have two "only children." They're so far apart that they won't share toys or fight over the front seat or tell secrets. He'll be off to college when she starts 1st grade.

It's bittersweet. I never wanted an only child and I am so thankful for our surprise bonus baby, but I truly miss my one-on-one with Henry and I hate that we will never have that same relationship again.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB