theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default DD afraid of the dark

For those of you who also have kids who don't like the dark, what do you do? We have a fluorescent night light in there but she says it's not light enough. I've been leaving the light in the room next door on but it kills me to leave a light on all night.

Would love to hear what you do
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not sure how old your DD is, but this is what we do. We leave the light on in DS's room until he falls asleep. We tried to avoid this, by turning off the lights and turning the Twilight Turtle on. It didn't work, even though we sleep trained him with the lights off. He has a plug in night light that stays on in his room. He has a flashlight on his nightstand in case he wakes up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or if he just needs more light.

The flashlight has been the biggest help. It is actually Flicker from Handy Manny. I know they have ones with characters that your DD might like more.
    DS - 11/08
    DS2- 2/13

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

twilight turtle/ladybug is a great option
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    twilight turtle/ladybug is a great option
    We have one of those so I will try it tonight. Do you find that the stars are distracting to your kids when they are trying to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by swrc00 View Post
    Not sure how old your DD is, but this is what we do. We leave the light on in DS's room until he falls asleep. We tried to avoid this, by turning off the lights and turning the Twilight Turtle on. It didn't work, even though we sleep trained him with the lights off. He has a plug in night light that stays on in his room. He has a flashlight on his nightstand in case he wakes up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or if he just needs more light.

The flashlight has been the biggest help. It is actually Flicker from Handy Manny. I know they have ones with characters that your DD might like more.
    The flashlight is a great idea! I will try and find ours and put it on her nightstand tonight.

Oh, and DD1 is 3 1/2.
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have this one from Ikea
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30150984/
    and I love the amount of light it gives off when set to one of the darker settings.

I second the idea of the flashlight. DD has one in her room but hardly uses it. I think the idea that she *could* use it is enough for her.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08