Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Anyone do cross fit?

I've been doing a bootcamp for almost 2 years. I am considering moving to cross fit. Anyone BTDT? Do you like it? did you get injured or feel you were more likely to get injured?
    TIA
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Default I <3 X-fit!!!

I've been X-Fit for 1.5 years and I've had the best times!!!
    The most important thing about X-fit is FORM; you need to make sure that the box you go to really emphasize on proper form because most injuries occur when you have poor form and try to lift too heavy.

I X-fit because everyday is different and you don't have to worry about wasting time waiting on machines because the gym is too packed.

At 6.5 months pregger I still x-fit, but at 50% the intensity and only twice a week instead of my pre-preg 4-5 times a week.
    DS born 1/20/13
    DD due 11/3/15

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My very close friend owns a large cross fit gym (erhmmm...."box"). She got into cross fit years ago when it was not as popular. Started with a small gym and grew it into a pretty large gym.

I have considered it, but I am still working on closing my diastasis recti fully. I am not confident my local cross fit gym would understand the limitations that imposes (have to be careful with certain motions, etc. as it could easily be ripped apart again). (eta: I totally know crossfit encourages appropriate scaling and form and all of that...my issue is that I don't get the impression my little rinky dink cross fit box is good about that stuff based on some info I have. My very good friend's gym...I wouldn't hesitate. Too far of a drive for me though).

Way to go!
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-18-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

My DH and brother both love it. I'm waiting until DD2 is a year old, just not feasible right now with her nursing and bedtime routine. DH's gym is huge on form and although they push everyone they aren't "pushy" if that makes sense. They want you to do the best YOU can.

DH has a hip issue that limits him but they've worked around it and scaled things back as needed. My brother suffered an unrelated wrist injury and his gym has also been very supportive helping him adjust WODs as needed.

I say go for it! I'm planning to after the first of the year.
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend and I plan to go soon. I don't want to go alone- kind of intimidates me. . But, I love a good workout.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My friend and I plan to go soon. I don't want to go alone- kind of intimidates me. . But, I love a good workout.
    This is my problem too. They finally opened a cross fit gym in our area, but I don't anyone else who would go with me and I'm too chicken to go by myself. Too bad we don't live close to one another, we could go together, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    This is my problem too. They finally opened a cross fit gym in our area, but I don't anyone else who would go with me and I'm too chicken to go by myself. Too bad we don't live close to one another, we could go together, lol.
    Glad I'm not alone! I just have no idea what to expect. Visited the local website, etc. but still don't know. When I drive by, it's all hot 20 somethings and that adds to my discomfort. I know they talk about people from every age and walk if life but I don't know if that is the local reality. I'll let you know if I go!!

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have been on the fence about doing this for a good year or more. My good friend just started a few weeks ago and LOVES it so I need to find a way. The times of the classes are a little hard for me to conceive making though - so I need to really think about how to make it work.
    Bravo to all the ladies here trying it though!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OK I went 2x this week. I am in ok but not great shape (was a total TOTAL couch potato 2 years ago).

First time they had an awesome woman who was my person to make sure I didn't do something stupid. The workout was hard -- lots of pushups, done from my knees but I did it and things like kettle bell swings I could easily do. It was a good work out, a bit of a mixed bag but something that I could get better at.

Last night was weight lifting -- I've never been a weight lifter, these were free weights and after 20 mins (!) of instruction on how to do it properly, I did a bunch of weight lifting with a 45 lb weight. It was easy and next time I plan to do a harder weight.

I found it fun and interesting (stuff I haven't done before). The coaches were really good and helpful. DH and I are the oldest people there by 10 years I bet. It isn't a cardio intensive workout but it is fun and a challenge.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

The local Cross Fit place confuses me. It talks about how the 1st time you go, you can only go to 1 time slot b/c they have the staffing for newbies. I can't tell if that is a recommendation or requirement though. There was also a paid assessment they recommend/ require. I don't like confusing things. Just tell me clearly where to be and when.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast