Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Most Crossfit box offers a week long (3-4 days) beginner's course called Crossfit 101. This is to get the newbies comfortable about using the equipment and not feel intimidated when working out next to someone that lifting 3x their body weight or doing 90 burpees per minute.

Crossfit boxes are designed to not make you feel like you're in a meat market gym like Bally's or LA Fitness; that's why there are no mirrors or weight machines. There might a bunch of hot 20 somethings walking around but they are there to WORKOUT, not the work their mouth or flirt with the coaches. It's a "check your ego at the door" kinda place; people work hard to challenge themselves, not try to "one up" the guy next to them.

Try the 101 classes if your local box offers the option; they will answer a lot of questions and ease you into the exercises.
    DS born 1/20/13
    DD due 11/3/15

I've been doing it for 9 months. I needed a way to get back into shape after DD and I was tired of group classes at the gym and hardware in my ankle was causing issues when I did a lot of running. I LOVE it!!! I've gotten so much stronger than I ever was using weights at the regular gym. I love how varied the workouts are. Each day is different and I don't have to think about planning a workout. I go at lunch time and its kind of like a recess for me! The owner of my gym is a physical therapist so she's very good at adapting the WOD's (workout of the day) for people with limitations. All the coaches are SUPER supportive and are there to encourage and motivate but not push you past your limits. Definitely find one with strong instructors that know what they are doing. Form is everything for injury prevention! I go 4 times a week. I wouldn't expect to lose weight doing CF alone. Many people don't lose much but thier body changes. Fat turns to muscle and things get more firm. I've recently combined the working out with a mostly-paleo diets and have really seen results. If you have more than one in your area, I'd try both of them. Each one has its own "personality."
    DD1 03/2011
    DD2 06/2013

I've been doing it for almost a year. I was a spin junkie before that. I can now do unassisted pull-ups, which I find just amazing, honestly. I have gained tons of strength and awareness of how my body is supposed to move. Its a great way to work out, and despite all the buff people, its quite a supportive environment.

The one time class for newbies or an introductory course is typical and I think a sign of a good box. My box doesn't have this, and I think especially for the barbell Olympic lifts, it would be useful.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I went to one of the newbie intro classes (just the free general info class) and was so intimidated by the sheer volume of insanely in shape twenty-somethings. They were blaring club music, too, which didn't help.

I was proud of myself for getting through it, and it's the kind of workout I think I'd like. But the atmosphere at that box was just not for me.

I've been told that there's another one nearby that's way more low key. I've thought about trying it again.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was fortunate to find about 8 months ago a women's bootcamp that used to be a Crossfit box but a few years ago the coach transitioned it to a women's only, very supportive environment that doesn't carry the CF name but does many of the same workouts. I was intimidated to try a typical CF place with the crazy fit 20-somethings PP mentioned, but the place i go is truly a great mix of ages and abilities and fitness levels. I really like the workouts and I saw changes in myself after a month of it!
    Last edited by cono0507; 10-22-2012 at 05:28 PM.

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love crossfit!

In fact I do the books and marketing for our box.

Not only is it a great and effective workout, it's a great environment. I love the people and have made such great friends.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How is week 2 hillview?

Several of my former athlete friends do crossfit and they are all hooked. It seems a bit cultish to me from the outside looking in actually! My FB feed is filled with crossfit pictures (it must be a regular part of the whole thing- taking pics of each other).
    My former boss is now hooked too- he taught spin for several years and has always been in great shape.

I am intrigued though, as the whole team aspect is appealing to me. And I have lifted weights and done agility exercises before, so I could probably catch on quicker than someone who has never done anything like that. I am also feeling a bit blah with my elliptical. I mean it's a solid thing, but it's nice to have variation.

But just like joining a gym or doing any kind of class, the schedule/time/childcare thing seems like it would be really hard for me to pull off.

(Pure barre is another thing that seems interesting.)
    DD
    DS

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    How is week 2 hillview?

But just like joining a gym or doing any kind of class, the schedule/time/childcare thing seems like it would be really hard for me to pull off.

to the daycare/time issue I did just start pure barre and I love it! Totally not what I expected and super hard. I always leave feeling like I got a great workout and the music is good. Bonus that they have classes when dh can be home and that its a half mile from my house.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    How is week 2 hillview?

Several of my former athlete friends do crossfit and they are all hooked. It seems a bit cultish to me from the outside looking in actually! My FB feed is filled with crossfit pictures (it must be a regular part of the whole thing- taking pics of each other).
    My former boss is now hooked too- he taught spin for several years and has always been in great shape.

I am intrigued though, as the whole team aspect is appealing to me. And I have lifted weights and done agility exercises before, so I could probably catch on quicker than someone who has never done anything like that. I am also feeling a bit blah with my elliptical. I mean it's a solid thing, but it's nice to have variation.

Well I've been traveling for work but I will be doing it again next week. I really like it as it is interesting and a challenge with a little competition. I think you'd be fine with it -- there was a HUGE range of people in the classes I attended. I agree Pure Barre is also interesting ... might give that a shot at some point.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2